• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit teeth

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
I have a question regarding teeth. I know pellets and certain veg such as carrots encourage the teeth to move in an up and down motion and this does not encourage the constant wear of the teeth.
However are there any veggies or herbs such as parsley which encourage the teeth to move in a sideways motion in the same way that eating hay and grass does and therefore helps keep the molars worn?

I'm not sure about veg, but have heard strawberry leaves and foraged things like hawthorn encourage a different type of tooth action to most greens. This surprised me becuase to me a strawberry leaf is more like 'greens' than hay!

I'm not sure about veg, but have heard strawberry leaves and foraged things like hawthorn encourage a different type of tooth action to most greens. This surprised me becuase to me a strawberry leaf is more like 'greens' than hay!

Wow, yeah that is strange. I would not have considered strawb leaves either. I have Alpine strawbs in my garden. There is no fruit now of course but do you think those leaves will be safe enough for bunnies to eat? Also If I did removed the leaves would it destroy the plant? I'm not sure if Alpines are perennial or not.

Yep, the leaves will be fine, as long as you leave some on the plant it shouldn't do any harm and will get more in spring (they are perennials).

Anything leafy like grass should help with wear, the rougher the better, so things like blackberry/rapsberry/strawberry leaves are good. The stuff with the rough/hairy surfaces gives the most wear. It's as much the surface as the teeth movement that helps.

Yep, the leaves will be fine, as long as you leave some on the plant it shouldn't do any harm and will get more in spring (they are perennials).

Anything leafy like grass should help with wear, the rougher the better, so things like blackberry/rapsberry/strawberry leaves are good. The stuff with the rough/hairy surfaces gives the most wear. It's as much the surface as the teeth movement that helps.

this is interesting to read, might try mabel with there :thumb:

Back