• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Desperately need help

Lillian

Warren Veteran
On Wednesday one of my rabbits had major surgery and had stitches right down her stomach. Today I checked on her and she'd ripped out all the stitches and the wound had completely opened up (I nearly passed out seeing her insides :oops:). I rushed her back to the vets, the vet cleaned all the wound out and stapled AND glued her back together (and gave antibiotics as a precaution).

I've just checked on the rabbit and she's already removed one staple. I'm SOOO stressed, I don't know what to do :cry: What can I possibly do to stop her?

Could putting her in a sort of baby grow be an option to stop her getting to the stitches?

When Bungle had his nose stitched he pulled them out 3 times!

A bit basic but have you tried making anything to stop her accessing her stomach - I had some success with a "jumper" made of a big walking sock with 4 holes for legs.

In extreme circumstances we have had to use one of those "lampshade" collars, yes it makes it difficult for bun to eat caecals, but it's better than the alternative

I would phone your vet for advice, they must have a procedure for this kind of thing :)

My friend had the exact same issue with her rabbit who ate her stiches. She was then bandaged by the vets (in Germany) which the rabbit promptly ate and did a 50cm 'string of pearls'. So they ended up putting her in a pet vest. That worked. (oh and they tried a 'lampshade' collar too but that did n't work out).

The vet should have given her a collar to stop her biting her stitches out. Maybe you could make your own? It may annoy her no end but its for her own good when she's not being supervised.

Helen xx

A bit basic but have you tried making anything to stop her accessing her stomach - I had some success with a "jumper" made of a big walking sock with 4 holes for legs.

In extreme circumstances we have had to use one of those "lampshade" collars, yes it makes it difficult for bun to eat caecals, but it's better than the alternative

I would phone your vet for advice, they must have a procedure for this kind of thing :)

My friend did this too with a pair of heavy tights but she had a go at that too.

Chloe pulled out all her stitches after being spayed - so I rushed her to emergency vet who charged me a fortune to staple her - by the time I got her home she had all the staples out. I had to take her to vet again next day and get antibiotics cos it got infected, and I think he just superglued her with no external stitches. Now I get the vets to just superglue the outside, and this seemed to work ok for poppy's spay and pebbles when he had tumor and resultant hernia ops.

The vet should have given her a collar to stop her biting her stitches out. Maybe you could make your own? It may annoy her no end but its for her own good when she's not being supervised.

Helen xx

My vet said that collars don't work on rabbits as they tend to use their hind legs to scratch at the stitches rather than just nibble them out. I think most rabbits don't cope well with collars.

My vets aren't there, the vet had to drive to my town to treat the rabbit today. I don't think I have anything I can put over her :(

If I can just keep her safe tonight I can get a lampshade collar tomorrow to put on her when I'm not around to supervise her.

So much for animals helping with stress :roll:

Baby grow or dog coat. And make sure she has enough painkillers. Sometimes they pull stitches if they're in pain.

A couple of piccies.

Nuala in her pet vest

NulaVest.jpg

And her mammouth bandage poo

NulaPoo1.jpg

My vets aren't there, the vet had to drive to my town to treat the rabbit today. I don't think I have anything I can put over her :(

If I can just keep her safe tonight I can get a lampshade collar tomorrow to put on her when I'm not around to supervise her.

So much for animals helping with stress :roll:

Problem with the lampshades are that often the rabbits can't get to their cecals and you will have to feed them to her.

OMG I have never seen a poo that long:shock:
Are those vests available to buy?
Many tears ago I had a bunny spayed that removed the stitches, she coped very well with a collar and learned how to press it against the ground to push her face forward to reach her food.
I used an old fashioned crepe bandage to make her a "vest" to give her a break from the collar.

I hope your bun will be ok.

Last edited:
My doe did this after her spay.

She pulled out all her staples, and then ate off all the glue when they glued her up. She then got an infection and an abcess so she had a wound for a lot longer than she would otherwise have done.

In the end they gave her a buster collar. She hated it and couldn't eat her caecals from her bum and wouldn't eat them 'cold'. But she's all better now.

Back