• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

dental advice for Mole - U/D eating now - LOTS!

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
Apparently the vet (not my normal one) clipped his incisors while he was conscious and I'm wondering if that's why he's not eating. I've syringe fed him some critical care and was thinking a ) metacam and b) zantac. Any thoughts? He may just be stressed from all the changes of scene so I don't want to make things worse for him. He seems very lively and he did eat at the vets I think that was before they clipped his teeth though. I 'll get an appt with my rabbit savvy vet asap. It seems silly to take him back to the vets tonight when he's just come from there though...:?

Last edited:
Might be a silly thing to say, but have you left him alone? When Kenco first came into Rescue (I fostered him for the first couple of weeks) he wouldn't eat anything whilst there were people in the room (stops typing to watch Kenco bounding around the front room and stealing the guinea pigs hay from their rack :roll: ). Maybe try half an hour in the dark and quiet? :?

Give him 24 hours to settle in. Make sure he has a bowl and a bottle for water and have different foods available. He may not know he can eat hay or pellets so have muesli available and veg, herbs, anything. Count everything and check back in the morning to see if he's eating. Try and leave him alone if possible, he might not be used to a lot of contact, give him a small hidey hole, he might not be used to a lot of space. Keep him quiet and calm. Syringe feeding might stress him out right now.

Good luck.

Might be a silly thing to say, but have you left him alone? When Kenco first came into Rescue (I fostered him for the first couple of weeks) he wouldn't eat anything whilst there were people in the room (stops typing to watch Kenco bounding around the front room and stealing the guinea pigs hay from their rack :roll: ). Maybe try half an hour in the dark and quiet? :?

Hi yes I've tried this but will try it again. :wave: I'm sure a lot of it is to do with stress and all the changes of scene....

I agree that he may just want to settle in and have a bit of a rest. Maybe just leave a bowl of food near him and check whether he has eaten/pooped in a few hours or in the morning. If he ate at the vets, he may not be hungry!

Sending vibes for him.

My Spenser didn't eat until we left him in the hutch overnight when I first brought him home. Hopefully Mole will realise he's in good hands now and settle soon.

Apparently the vet (not my normal one) clipped his incisors while he was conscious and I'm wondering if that's why he's not eating. I've syringe fed him some critical care and was thinking a ) metacam and b) zantac. Any thoughts? He may just be stressed from all the changes of scene so I don't want to make things worse for him. He seems very lively and he did eat at the vets I think that was before they clipped his teeth though. I 'll get an appt with my rabbit savvy vet asap. It seems silly to take him back to the vets tonight when he's just come from there though...:?

Clipping his teeth whilst conscious wouldn't have upset him that much to be honest. Were his molars checked?

have you got anything similar to the food he was on before? i know its not ideal but he can be changed over when he's more settled.

if you've got a bit of foof in him don't worry too much...probably a reaction to all he has been through
Leave him soemwhere quiet and dark with nice things to eat..try chopping up some veg, hay and pellets..and leave him to it
by the morning he will hopefully have magic'd all the food into poos! :D

if you've got a bit of foof in him don't worry too much...probably a reaction to all he has been through
Leave him soemwhere quiet and dark with nice things to eat..try chopping up some veg, hay and pellets..and leave him to it
by the morning he will hopefully have magic'd all the food into poos! :D

Prophetic words!! :lol::lol::lol:

And he's now tucking into another bowlful.....

Thanks to everyone for the responses. He must have just needed some peace and quiet overnight. He seems much more nervous this morning so I suspect that when he seemed very docile last night he was actually scared. The syringe feeding was kept very brief and I think it's good he did get some food into him but other than that I left him alone and that seems to be what he wanted. :wave:

I'll ask the vet who neuters him in a fortnight to check his teeth while he's under and maybe they'll need burring by then to even up where they were clipped. They were like mini-tusks, so the angle may be all wrong, I suspect... :?

I'm very glad to hear that he's settled in and eating well! I really hope he gets on well with the others when the time comes and I can't wait to see a picture of him in your bunny 'meadow' with the rest of the herd :D

Back