• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

do rabbits like heat?

claire**

Warren Scout
might sound an odd question but im not sure what temperature they prefer? Now its got colder I put on the heater - electric heater, and it does get quite warm in here. My bun seems to like it, he does big flops and lies contentedly. tonight he has positioned himself in prime area to get the best heat did a big flop and is now sleeping. I would think if he didn't like it he would choose to lie or move somewhere cooler - upstairs is much cooler so he does have the option, but he has chosen the hottest spot in a now warm room.

What do other ppls rabbits prefer? I resisted putting on the heating for a while coz i didnt want to make it too hot for him, but he seems to really enjoy it. I have read that heat is not good for them and can cause heatstroke etc, so I'm not sure whether its safe for him to do this.

As a general rule rabbits deal with cold better than heat but they arent great with extremes of either

Yeah, what webble said. Mine have always been okay with extreme heat though, even back when I had outdoor buns and temps got over 100F degrees. They were housed in the shade, of course, under a big oak tree. I reckon they're more comfortable indoors though and they can probably breath better without all the humidity that is outside here.

I do not like extremes myself, I feel cold very easily but also hate being too hot. Hopefully this would help me to judge whats ok for him a bit. He is very relaxed and calm in the warm, hes indoors so is used to not being out in the colder extremes, but really seems to enjoy basking in the warm air coming out from the heater, obviously not too close to it, he chooses where to flop on the carpet and could go near the porch door where there is likely to be colder air coming through. As far as I was aware they are happier in colder rather than warmer conditions, i dont want to do anything wrong. If the heats not good id rather sit in several layers of clothes, but if its not a problem then im happy for him to enjoy it. is it possible to get heatstroke from indoor heat or just from being outside in the hot weather

Last edited:
I'd say they prefer cold, as mine hide in their shed under their hutch in summer, but on cold nights, they choose to sit outside in their run:?

I'd say they prefer cold, as mine hide in their shed under their hutch in summer, but on cold nights, they choose to sit outside in their run:?

I agree with this - mine sat out in the snow a lot last winter. Do you have the one bun? A friend to snuggle up to might be nice for him

I do not like extremes myself, I feel cold very easily but also hate being too hot. Hopefully this would help me to judge whats ok for him a bit. He is very relaxed and calm in the warm, hes indoors so is used to not being out in the colder extremes, but really seems to enjoy basking in the warm air coming out from the heater, obviously not too close to it, he chooses where to flop on the carpet and could go near the porch door where there is likely to be colder air coming through. As far as I was aware they are happier in colder rather than warmer conditions, i dont want to do anything wrong. If the heats not good id rather sit in several layers of clothes, but if its not a problem then im happy for him to enjoy it. is it possible to get heatstroke from indoor heat or just from being outside in the hot weather

It's just from being outdoors, you wouldn't have to worry about using the heat.

Mine much prefere the cold to the hot. They are a lot less active when it's hot and Snowdrops stomach condition is much worse in the summer.

Feel his ears ~ if they are very warm, it might be a little too warm for him. My buns flop if they are too warm (say, if they come into the kitchen whilst I've got the oven on). They like the best of both worlds tho: favourite place to sit and ponder life is just inside the wide-open terrace doors! :lol:

Back