• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Older bunny concerns

Lulu7898

New Kit
My bunny, Bobka , has been with me since he was little (a rescue), he is now 9-10 years old. He has been very thirsty lately...water bottle fillups would be 3-4 times per week now he wants to drink that amount in 1-2 days plus water we keep in a bowl. He is drinking a lot. He is eating ok and going to the bathroom just fine. He seems to be more lethargic in the past few weeks and his spine is more pronounced (he is eating the same amount of food) so I dont know what this condition is called. I realize he is considered elderly. He is a neutered Silver Fox. He has always been a sweetie and is now becoming more attached to me than ever. He weighs about 13 lbs. I have also noticed lethargy when he has usually been playful with toys. Should I just accept that he is older and slowing down? The drinking seems to be the biggest issue. Any thoughts before I bring him to the vet...he gets very stressed in the car. Thank you for your time! :?

I used to have an elderly bunny called Barnaby. He was a rescue bunny and lived to be at least 11 years old.

Yes, he did drink more, slept alot of the day and when awake was generally very lethargic.

I am fortunate to have a brilliant vet nearby, only 10 minutes drive away so travelling wasn't too much of an issue for him.

Basically Barnaby used to go and have a check over every couple of months. I didn't want to confuse something age related with him being genuinely poorly, and vice versa.

He eventually became a very special little old bunny who I did my utmost for in everyway.

Bless him, he taught me so much about the special needs of old age bunnies.

Thank you Barnaby. :love::love:

Best of luck with Bobka. It is difficult and heartbreaking when they get old, but worth every minute of your time. I hope this has been of use to you.

Last edited:
It sounds as though his renal (kidney) function may be compromised. A common problem in elderly Rabbits. But there are other possibilities too, including urinary tract infection, bladder sludge, Dental problems..............

So really you do need to get him examined by a Vet in order to obtain a diagnosis and appropriate treatment

Back