• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Even more worried now...

rachylou

Warren Veteran
About VHD, I know you all probably think I am just a worrier but it is far more than that, my OCD has taken on a whole new level.
I have been sat in the dark in tears for the past 2 hours, I can not stop worrying about Jimby and Cookie getting VHD after hearing that 2 vaccinated rabbits have died of vhd 10 mins away from where I live.
I have now convinced myself that I will not be going to Woking in thew forseable future and that I probably will not go out anywhere for a while because it just opens up a whole new can of worms each time.
I am at the beginning of a medication change over so am already feeling anxious and reading that has not helped in the slightest, dont get me wrong I do not want to be ignorant which is why I keep up to date on the outbreak section but I have to admit it has fuelled the OCD a lot now.
Who else lives in Surrey? Are you as worried as I am about this new outbreak?

Last edited:
I don't want you to have a new thing to worry about, but I can't help wondering why you're worried about VHD and not myxi, when VHD is totally impossible with a rabbit that has been vaccinated, but it is possible for a vaccinated rabbit to get myxi?

Just keep telling yourself that they can't get VHD. There isn't one person on this forum that has had a vaccinated rabbit get VHD.

I live on the borders of Surrey/Middlesex and I am not worried.

Mr Bennett was vaccinated for the first time on Wednesday, after the break between his myxi.

Are you sure they had VHD and not myxi. I thought it was impossible for a vaccinated bunny to get VHD or maybe they were not really vaccinated. Do you know the story 100%, because your anxiety might have confused you.

I hope the new meds really help. xxx

Do not let the OCD win.
You need to tackle it head on. You need to go out and you need to remember what everyone here has told you. Look the OCD in the eyes, so to speak, and get on with your life.

The thing is we cannot make our pets 100% safe. We do all we can, safe enclosures, good food and vaccinations. And that is enough. Sometimes bad things happen but there is nothing we can do and you need to tell yourself over and over again that you have done all you can by getting them vaccinated, there is nothing else to do.

neither of my rabbits are vaccinated right now because they are too ill. I go to a university every day where the wild rabbits have myxi. But I can't stop my life out of fear that something might happen and you can't either. Your rabbits are as safe as they can be. Not going out will make no difference. Worrying will make no difference.

It was posted by The Duchess today on VHD outbreaks. She has said that the diagnosis has been made through lab tissue testing after the post mortom did not show anything abnormal.
So it can not be impossible for a vaccinated rabbit to contract VHD.
I am less worried about myxo because I know that if a vaccinated rabbit contracts it they get a lesser strain and it is not always fatal, they have a much higher chance of survival where as VHD is always fatal.

It was posted by The Duchess today on VHD outbreaks. She has said that the diagnosis has been made through lab tissue testing after the post mortom did not show anything abnormal.
I am less worried about myxo because I know that if a vaccinated rabbit contracts it they get a lesser strain and it is not always fatal, they have a much higher chance of survival where as VHD is always fatal.

I know it's true, but there is nothing you can do. You have to remember that. Don't let the fear get the better of you. You have done all you can.

rachylou, I agree with what has already been said.

Just need you to take good care of yourself and try not to let the OCD make things worse for you.

I am sure your bunnies will be fine.

I just went and read what Duchess posted. I hadn't heard of that. I wonder if maybe there was something wrong with the vaccines- a bad batch maybe?

I know it wasnt Lapinject as my veterinary nurse called Ceva the manufacturar so maybe it was Cylap or Anivac? Is there anyway of finding out?
i am so worried :cry:

I just went and read what Duchess posted. I hadn't heard of that. I wonder if maybe there was something wrong with the vaccines- a bad batch maybe?

I wont lie as that does nobody any favours especially an ocd sufferer. The vhd disease may have a new strain that the vavcination isnt perfect against. There are a few threads about it on here :wave: i believe it started in france so it is entirely possible.

That said you have yours vaccd so there is nothing else you can do. If you decide not to leave the house you will affect yourself and others so whilst i know the ocd is making it very difficult you really need to work on this.

Please please get more help for this rachy. You are going to really do yourself no favours without it.

I wont lie as that does nobody any favours especially an ocd sufferer. The vhd disease may have a new strain that the vavcination isnt perfect against. There are a few threads about it on here :wave: i believe it started in france so it is entirely possible.

That said you have yours vaccd so there is nothing else you can do. If you decide not to leave the house you will affect yourself and others so whilst i know the ocd is making it very difficult you really need to work on this.

Please please get more help for this rachy. You are going to really do yourself no favours without it.

Ditto

None of us have Rabbits who are 100% safe from ANY Virus/Bacteria. It is an impossibility unless you imprison the Rabbit in a sterile bubble and never allow him/her out. Never allow him/her to have a life worth living :cry:

To want a 100% guarantee of protection from every pathogen is asking for the impossible. That applies to us all in every single aspect of our life. To waste time stressing over something NONE of us can achieve is a real shame as it is time that could be spent enjoying having Rabbits.

To add to everything that has already been said, if you stop going out, you stunt your sons quality of life as well, which I'm sure you don't want.

You don't choose your illness, but you can choose what you are going to do. Are you going to fight? Or are you going to lay down and let it win?

(and that comes from someone who had a diagnosis of potential VHD on her premises, but when my vet looked at it he said it was 'flimsy' and to thoroughly clean everything, and then not to focus on it).

Back