• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need some advice - penicillin injections

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
Smoo was given a course of four penicillin injections after her abscess was removed. They were to be given every three days so would last two weeks. Last night was her third one and I messed it up (feeling very ill and the needle was blocked, I made it explode :?). I phoned the vets today and my vet is on holiday so spoke to someone else. I said I'd messed it up and would I need to come and get another one or is there any way she can have one of Grim's. Grim is on depocillin and Smoo is on another type. I asked if my closer vets could make me up a depocillin one for her so I didn't have to come all the way and if that would be okay. She said don't worry about giving her the last injection if she seems fine in herself. She'll be okay and if she's not she'll need another course so would have to come in for a check up.

What is your view on this? I want her to have the last injection on the course because this is about keeping the jaw abscess at bay. If it's not killed properly it might come back. But then it might come back anyway. Grim is on repeat prescription so I could give her one of Grim's. She weighs a little more than him so the dose would be slightly too low, and it's a different penicillin.

I'm just worried about cutting the dose short. My vet is back on Monday, the day after Smoo is due her last injection, so I could ring her then and ask if I could just pick up another one and she could have it a day late.

I would want her to complete the course.

I dont think you should administer the medication dispensed for Grim without specific advice from a Vet to do so

So I think collecting the last dose on Monday may be your best bet.

I would want her to complete the course.

I dont think you should administer the medication dispensed for Grim without specific advice from a Vet to do so

So I think collecting the last dose on Monday may be your best bet.

Thanks. :)
I think I'll feel better if I speak to my vet anyway.
Grr, why did I have to go and explode the injection? :roll: It's weird because Grim has much thicker skin than Smoo, possibly from long term injections :(, so you you would have thought injecting Smoo would be easier but I'm trying not to grab too much scruff and pull the skin around her dewlap/chin where the surgery was done. They seem to clog up every time with her so maybe it's the penicillin... Anyway I'm rambling. I'll ring my vet on Monday.

Thanks. :)
I think I'll feel better if I speak to my vet anyway.
Grr, why did I have to go and explode the injection? :roll: It's weird because Grim has much thicker skin than Smoo, possibly from long term injections :(, so you you would have thought injecting Smoo would be easier but I'm trying not to grab too much scruff and pull the skin around her dewlap/chin where the surgery was done. They seem to clog up every time with her so maybe it's the penicillin... Anyway I'm rambling. I'll ring my vet on Monday.

Neutered Bucks usually have skin like a Rhino !!

Re the Depocillin, do you put a new needle on to do the injection ? This usually helps as if you are given pre drawn up syringes the original needle will clog up.

Neutered Bucks usually have skin like a Rhino !!

Re the Depocillin, do you put a new needle on to do the injection ? This usually helps as if you are given pre drawn up syringes the original needle will clog up.

Yeah, my vet makes them all up for me and pops a new needle on each one. So all I have to do is take one out of the fridge and warm it up in my hands, give it a good shake and then administer it. Much safer as my house mate and his brother who visits are allergic to penicillin. I have a special draw in the fridge and they are in a box in that draw. So having them ready made is brilliant. Unless they clog in the needle... Usually I just pull in some air until I hear it pop and then slowly squeeze the air out, but as I feel really ill I wasn't thinking properly.

It's crazy how thick Grim's skin is in comparison. :shock:

Back