• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House Rabbits: Bonding vs Singleton-ness?

Anmagdan

Young Bun
This is something I am rather curious about. I'm also very lacking in knowledge so if this has been asked before please do link it to me!

Moofy wasn't our first rabbit, we had 4 others at various points when we were much younger (about 10-15 years ago) and they lived in hutches/small runs on their own and probably had very miserable lives (except Dandelion who was successfully paired with a guinea pig, and Blackie who built his own burrow in the garden and was rather free range 24 hrs a day!). We wanted it to be different this time as us kids were older, and had more input. I guess my parents were the usual lack of knowledge in caring for our pets. Undoubtedly a very common story.

Moofy was our only rabbit, but he lived in our kitchen which is the centre of the madness in our household, so he was rarely alone except for at night or when everyone was at work/school. In the future I'd like to get another bunny, but I want to make sure I am doing the best for him/her.

I can completely see the benefits for bonding, especially if the bunnies live outside. But, if you have an indoor bunny, is it cruel for it to be on its own?

Rabbits like companions. They can be happily bonded with a human and your kitchen set up sounds ideal.
My Grimlock was a single indoor rabbit and he was very happy, but I got him a partner and it really made him happier. So I would say it's far from cruel to have a single indoor bun, with lots of attention they can be very happy, but a rabbit friend will make them happier. :)

You can adopt a bonded pair from a rescue so they are already a happy couple.

Yeah, okay. I can imagine, I'd love to adopt a pair but I have a feeling I won't even be able to adopt one without a fight!

I wouldn't say it's cruel to have a single bunny but I would say that, where possible, it's best to have a pair.
I personally don't think I'd ever have a single rabbit unless a special circumstance dictated it.

Back