• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Urgent rabbit dilemma - what to do? U/D He's home!

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
Just had a phonecall from vets - they've had a black rabbit handed in and wanted me to take him. The owner died three weeks ago and a neighbour has looked after him since but can't any more. His teeth needed clipping and they think he may have had incorrect diet prior to owner's death and certainly after. Basically they've said if I don't take him he'll be put to sleep. :cry:

It's really odd I've been looking at rescue pages a lot online today at black does, thinking of my poor Drusilla and it almost feels like I've conjured him up. He's not neutered or vacced but the vets will reduce price of these by 25% which is nice of them but that doesn't affect my decision either way. If I got another rabbit I was going to get him/her from a rescue but this one seems more in need than that even. Do I have a real choice here? :?

Last edited:
None of us here can tell you what to do, but reading it, it does kind of seem like fate? Fate that he or she is meant to come in to your life, whether temporarily or permanently. By the way I love black rabbits so if you dont want him or her, can I?! :lol::lol: (OH has just said don't say that cos they make take it seriously. Little does he know I mean it seriously! :lol::lol:). In all seriousness, hope the bunny will be ok and can be saved. He is a rescue rabbit, from the sounds of it.

This is definitely a rescue, just through your vets rather than a rehoming centre :wave:

Many rescues take rabbits in via their vets, so you're just cutting out the in-between part really. If you feel bad about not rehoming from a rescue, why not just make a donation (or adopt one of their buns too? ;) )

If it happened to me, I would think of it as fate. That is how I usually get my rabbits -- a phone call out of the blue and I can never say no to a bunny in need, but you need to do what you think is best for you.

I'm going to meet him at 6.20 and talk to the vet who did his dental. Can't imagine myself leaving him there somehow... As a black bunny even if I got him a place in a rescue he'd be hard to home, and I don't want him to experience the freedom at mine and then have to move again. I'll get his myxi vacc done while I'm there as I think that's more urgent than the neutering, given that he may well be unvaccinated.

I currently owe Honeybunnies a donation anyway :oops: - couldn't sort out the Skype payment - but will sort it next month; my bank account took a big hit recently over Drusilla and Brock.

I suspect this little bun *may* be coming home with me....

Sounds like maybe fate sent your bunny this way. I look forward to hearing your update once you've met him :)

You do realise that if you see him he will really pull at your heart strings.:lol: I made the mistake of asking for a photo of Poppy before I made a decision on rehoming her - but once I saw her cute face, I just had to get her straight away!!

Is it a sign that I've thought of a name already? :oops:

Mole... :love:

Oh that is a lovely name!! :love::love: What a lucky little bunster, and he doesn't even know it yet. Good luck Tinsel :love: Will look forward to seeing pics. IF you get him I mean! :angel:

Is it a sign that I've thought of a name already? :oops:

Mole... :love:

i think you've made up your mind already:D you are rescuing this bun!! and a bun will choose their hoomin parent, not the other way around.

another part of me believes that buns waiting for us at the bridge have a massive input, when i lost my little Lolly he met a bun called Barnsley, Barnsley wasn't meant to be at the bridge just yet and Lolly sent him back to earth as he knew that i would be able to look after him.

when my darling Barnsley went to the bridge to stay, he looked down and saw Bella and Edward, two little buns who needed a home indoors. they are not what i would call "rescue" buns but they were in need of a forever home that he knew i could provide and he brought us together.

em

Oh that is a lovely name!! :love::love: What a lucky little bunster, and he doesn't even know it yet. Good luck Tinsel :love: Will look forward to seeing pics. IF you get him I mean! :angel:

I've just ordered a replacement camera link cable (thanks to the link you posted when I was searching for one previously :wave:). Just in CASE I come home with him... :angel:

He will need to get on with the group though - that's my main worry - and he can't be neutered for a fortnight if he's having his myxi jab today...

I think he deserves a loving home. I think you are obviously a great bunny mum. No-brainer? :thumb:

Rabbits who are not from rescues directly are worthy of a home just as much as those that do.

I think he deserves a loving home. I think you are obviously a great bunny mum. No-brainer? :thumb:

Rabbits who are not from rescues directly are worthy of a home just as much as those that do.

Thank you! :wave:

And yes he would 100% be pts, so he's high risk by rescue standards...

Back