• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

exercise

hot cross bun

Alpha Buck
hi

how much free range do your buns have mine only get 1hr in the wk but 3hrs at the wkend is this
enough,they have runs but am scared to leave them in them when im out as we get cats and foxes do you
leave your rabbits out in runs?

Mine get around 10 hours in winter, and around 13 hours in summer. Their hutch and run is unattached so they get moved over daily. Why are they only out for such a short amount of time? Rabbits should have a minimum of 9 hours exercise in a run each day, if the run is not attached. How big is the run?

bunnies dot have to have free range time, itis nice if you can give them it though :)
If the runs are wooden and placed on paving then its fine to leave them :)

Is there a rabbit proof room in your house? My bun goes in my bathroom (which is quite big) when I am at work and at night time and has 4 hours free range of the living room and kitchen at night x

oops, may have got a little confused here. *remember to read the post properly* :oops: :lol:

Mine don't get any free range time, it simply isn't safe. I have a dog and a cat and we have cats and foxes walking through our garden regularly. They have a 7ft x 5ft run that they have access to 10 hours every day in winter and around 12 hours in summer.

Mine have a shed and attached run but I like letting them out free-range. They are let out out as soon as I come home from work at half four. In summer they would be out until it starts to go dark and at weekends all day but these last few weeks as the nights are drawing in they have been going back into their shed voluntarily after about an hour and they won't come out at all if it's raining :? :lol:

They get access to their run 24/7 and then free range on the garden about 2 hours a day each in Summer but only an hour each a day in Winter. They get longer at weekends or when im off work.

Some buns never get to free range so anything you can give your bunny is great! My outdoor bunnies love the freedom!

My buns have 24 hour access to their run (roughly 8x8) and a few hours a week in a bigger run when I can supervise.
Very occasionally they get free run of the garden but I need the OH to help me keep an eye on them because of all the toxic plants and he's not around that often.

Is there a rabbit proof room in your house? My bun goes in my bathroom (which is quite big) when I am at work and at night time and has 4 hours free range of the living room and kitchen at night x
This isn't a bad idea in the summer, but it's too risky to bring a rabbit in for exercise in the winter because of the difference in temperatures. Obviously it's fine for you as your bun is indoors, but not advised for outdoor buns. :)

Last edited:
Mine have a 5x2x2 double story hutch with permenant access to a 5x4x2 run and supervised play in a 6x4x2 run on the grass :)

Next spring/summer I plan in moving them into a shed with perm access to both runs :)

Last edited:
Mine have 6 x 8 shed and attached 18 x 3 run. They get free range for an hour in the morning, and as from Monday with clocks going back, they won't get any free range at night:( They get access to free range all weekend while its light though, as long as someone is home to keep an eye on them.

My two have a run attached to the shed. They have access to this from 7am until 10pm, then I shut them in the shed as afraid to let them be in run all night. Then each day they have about 2 hours free range in the garden although this is reduced now the nights are darker so they may only get 1 hour or even half an hour.

oops, may have got a little confused here. *remember to read the post properly* :oops: :lol:

Mine don't get any free range time, it simply isn't safe. I have a dog and a cat and we have cats and foxes walking through our garden regularly. They have a 7ft x 5ft run that they have access to 10 hours every day in winter and around 12 hours in summer.

Mine are pretty much the same - my garden is nowhere near rabbit proof and seems to be unclaimed cat territory - which means we get loads of them passing through!

Back