• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Disaster!!

ChristyRose

Alpha Buck
I feel so stupid!! I started bonding Jake, Jasmine and Hazel on Sunday. It has been a very straight forward bond. No fighting or humping. A little fur pulling to start but soon stopped. I moved them out to the summerhouse On Wednesday. Everything has been fine. Today I thought I'd fence of their new bit of garden and I knocked a hole in the wall of the summerhouse for them to come and go. While I was tidying up they came out and had a run around and everything seemed fine. Then suddenly Jasmine and Hazel were fighting!!!! I put them all back in the summerhouse and I thought I'd given them too much space too soon but Jasmine just keeps going for Hazel. So, I've had to put Hazel back in her old hutch to let them calm down.
What do I do? Is that it or is it possible to try and re bond them or will they always hate each other now? I just couldnt beleive it as Jassy has been washing Hazel and snuggling together and eating together. What made her suddenly turn like that? The new bit of garden is totally neutral.

You gave them too much space too soon and weren't able to change the mood of the rabbits when they were fighting. New bonds are so fragile, sadly.

As for whether or not they will rebond, I don't know. You will need to give them some time to calm down and also you'll need to check for injuries over the next few days too.

I agree with sky-o, too much space to soon. Maybe if you start back at square one, with a small neutral area and expand very slowly, they may rebond. Even with my four, after 6 days I only expanded by 2 puppy panels but I put them on new neutral area, and even they started chasing and fur pulling. But it died down very quickly and they are happy together now on day 7. But I'm going to wait another two days before I expand by one puppy panel. With a group of bunnies, it seems to take at least twice, if not 3 times as long, and it is really worth keeping them confined to a smaller space for that extra time.

When I put them out in the summer house they had alot more room but didnt fight and that was 2 days ago but I should've left them for longer in the summer house and then only given them a tiny bit of garden at a time. I feel so stupid now. I didnt even think when I was doing their bit of garden but its obvious now!!

Maybe they will be fine if you put them back in a small space again. Probably worth a try starting them off indoors again where you can see them better.

They didnt fight like this when I first introduced them. I have had rabbits that have done this on first introduction and I have never been able to bond them. For them to fight like this after being so close - it dosnt fill me with much hope. I cant bring them back into the house as my OH is home now. The only idea I have is to seperate an area off for Hazel in the summer house next to Jake and Jasmine - so they can see and sniff each other but not fight. Hazel wont be on her own then. But I dont want to aggrevate Jassy if she is upset by Hazel - so that is only an idea at the moment. Or I put Hazel in the bike shed and get her her own companion? I then end up with 2 groups again. My niece was interested in her as a companion for her male rabbit. So thats an idea but I have become quite fond of her and dont know if I want to give her up. I dont want rush into anything (theres been too much of that today :roll:) I will have a think....

Back