• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Infection control - chewable toys & environment

Vita

Mama Doe
Hello ... Sorry, more questions.

I've taken them in to the vets this morning so that Ada can have a nasal swab and X-ray under GA, and the E. Cuniculi blood test (the latter because the vets prefer to test first rather than giving all rabbits Panacur as a matter of course).
She has been sneezing for about 12 days; it started towards the end of a course of Baytril that she was on for gut problems. She has been sneezing quite a lot, including alarming sneeze-fits that lasted over a minute - though seems to have got a bit better in the last few days. She has been on Metacam for a week. I have only seen snot on her nose once, last week, (it was whitish-clear) and other than the sneezing she seems healthy.

Since Tuesday, I have seen Beatrix sneeze 3 or 4 times, but nowhere near as violently as Ada. She is still very perky and eats lots.

I had read that for infection control, it's best that when they start antibiotics, you dispose of all chewable toys that could harbour bacteria. For similar reasons, I hadn't been letting them out since Ada's sneezing got bad, as it would be a bit of a nightmare trying to disinfect the carpet.

This morning the nurse who admitted them said that they don't usually advise people to get rid of the chewable toys when rabbits have infections. Now, these vets see a lot of rabbits, one of them has owned rabbits for over 15 years, and they are highly recommended on more than one forum. So I certainly give some weight to their opinion.
But I'm a little surprised about what they say about the toys (though of course I like the idea of not having to throw things out). I'd be interested in hearing about other people's experiences. Have you successfully treated infections whilst keeping toys like this? Or did you find that a problem dragged on until you disposed of that hay tunnel or wooden hut or whatever it was?

And if I were to dispose of the toys, what are the poor little mites supposed to chew whilst they're on antibiotics? I can't get them new ones every day.

Sorry, bumping this up in case anyone has any opinions & experiences to share on this.

Ada was found to have pus in her nose and dark patches in her chest x-ray :(
She is eating and running around now, recovering from the GA, and she has cleaned the blood off her nose.
They have both been put on engemycin and we're to go back to the vet in ten days, when the test results should be available.

I really don't want to do anything to lessen the effectiveness of their treatment or have them suffer for longer (or that could mean I have to pay yet more vet fees if they're avoidable), but nor do I want to make the bunnies bored and deprived.

If they are in together,it should be ok.The thing I would be wary of is giving other bunnies the toys.
The toys arent washable is my guess, but it should be ok.xx

Back