• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A few questions.

Hammy

Young Bun
In my room I have 2 6 month old kittens and 2 rabbits, the rabbits live in quite a big cage in my room, they come out regularly for floor time though as when my kittens go to their new homes they will be "room" rabbits (rather than house rabbits). My rabbits are separated atm as they are boy and girl but my girl is going to be spayed on tuesday (I am terrified).

My first question is when I let my rabbits out my kittens go straight in and start (attempting) to eat the rabbits pellets, not that Moses lets them. Also, the kittens like to use the rabbits litter tray (much to my annoyance) and the rabbits like to use the kittens..Also, they like to try and eat the kittens food too (not that I let them, it really can't be good for them, not that they listen so I have to hide it), is this normal? Or do my rabbits and cats wanna swap bodies?

Also, about the house rabbit thing, if you have a house rabbit where is it allowed, the whole house or just one room? Any tips on letting my rabbits be house bunnies?

Last couple of qu's. Pandora is being spayed on tuesday, I am terrified, I don't know why as I am a student vet nurse (not that you get taught alot about rabbits) and we have one rabbit savvy vet at our practice and he is doing the spay, but what complications are there? What should I expect, stuff like that. Also, I presume I am okay to put her in back in with Moses after the op as I know with boys you have to wait until 4weeks after, that doesn't apply to girls I am assuming as their womb won't be there any more..

And what can I expect from a castrate? As Moses is being castrated on the 9th november..will his personality change? Complications? Etc?

Sorry about the long winded post.

In my room I have 2 6 month old kittens and 2 rabbits, the rabbits live in quite a big cage in my room, they come out regularly for floor time though as when my kittens go to their new homes they will be "room" rabbits (rather than house rabbits). My rabbits are separated atm as they are boy and girl but my girl is going to be spayed on tuesday (I am terrified).

My first question is when I let my rabbits out my kittens go straight in and start (attempting) to eat the rabbits pellets, not that Moses lets them. Also, the kittens like to use the rabbits litter tray (much to my annoyance) and the rabbits like to use the kittens..Also, they like to try and eat the kittens food too (not that I let them, it really can't be good for them, not that they listen so I have to hide it), is this normal? Or do my rabbits and cats wanna swap bodies?

Also, about the house rabbit thing, if you have a house rabbit where is it allowed, the whole house or just one room? Any tips on letting my rabbits be house bunnies?

Last couple of qu's. Pandora is being spayed on tuesday, I am terrified, I don't know why as I am a student vet nurse (not that you get taught alot about rabbits) and we have one rabbit savvy vet at our practice and he is doing the spay, but what complications are there? What should I expect, stuff like that. Also, I presume I am okay to put her in back in with Moses after the op as I know with boys you have to wait until 4weeks after, that doesn't apply to girls I am assuming as their womb won't be there any more..

And what can I expect from a castrate? As Moses is being castrated on the 9th november..will his personality change? Complications? Etc?

Sorry about the long winded post.

I can't help with everything, but I'll advise on the spaying. I was like you, terrified of having my girls spayed. I put it off until they were nearly two, but it got to the point they were going to fall out so I had it done. Living in the Highlands means there is very little choice when it comes to vets, let alone rabbit savvy ones, so I went with the ones who were willing to keep them overnight (I was worried about bringing them home and caring for them on the first night, what with the vet being 80 miles away).

All operations have complications (as I am sure you know!), but as long as your bun is healthy, and not overweight, chances are she will be fine. If the vet tells you to starve her before the op, walk away and get a different vet. I was so scared when I had mine done, but they were fine, and I was amazed how calm they were. You need to keep her indoors, and keep her warm. What I did was get a plastic table cloth, and lay it on the floor and create sort of a pen. So the cloth was wipe clean, and there was no irritations to their wounds. Make sure she eats, she needs to eat and drink almost right away, as rabbits need to keep their stomachs moving. If she doesn't want to eat her usual food (hay/pellets) you can offer treats, just anything tempting to get the stomach going again. The first 5 days are the worst, once you are past those, chances are things will be fine.

This is what I did, to give you an idea. Mine are outside rabbits, but I brought them in for warmth and to keep an eye on them.

Islay and Jura - recovering from being spayed by Niseag, on Flickr
and I gradually increased it in size as they got better. They went back out about a week after they were spayed I think.

You can't put her back with the male right away, for fear of him grooming her, and pulling the stitches out (watch for her doing that herself!), and also, her hormones won't have died down until about 6 weeks after. Is your boy neutered too?

ETA: Just saw the boy is being done soon. No, I wouldn't put them back together until they are both done, but there is differing opinions on this :wave:

Last edited:
I have no idea about the spaying sorry.

As for the house bunny, My bunny is 80% house bunny. The only time she in her cage is if we are out or in bed or the guinea pigs are out.

Misty tends to stay in the livingroom because we have laminate flooring in our hall and she is scared of it. Sometimes tho we make her a wee passage way out of rugs and blankets so she can go exploring which she loves, especially in the bedroom!

This is her - its quite an eye sore right enough :lol:

299748_10150409733590610_645065609_10695521_779042561_n.jpg

I think it depends on where you want your rabbit's to go?
You will need to make sure and bunny proof your house. Hide all wires etc and make sure there is nothing that your bunny could hurt themself on or chew on that will cause harm. One thing i have done is for my bunny proofing, we have the rabbit play pen which we have actually used to put round the tv and a corner or our livingroom where the wires are so she cant get to them. You can get cable tidies for your wires :)

I also found with Misty since she's had the run of the house, is the bond between me and her has become more stronger than before. :love:

They will just be living in my bedroom and I an, going to put curtain hooks on my wall to hook wires onto..I don't have anything in my room much, not even a proper bed..its a sofa that pulls out into a bed. I don't have much bunny proofing to do. AS for accommodation after their oI am going to keep them separate until his op is done, that way I can tell who is eating and toileting too. Lucky I am friends with my vet so I can just take the bunnies any time I want to as he would just see them without booking an appointment.

I think they can go back together pretty soon. Maybe keep her seperate for a day or so in a restricted area so she doesn't try any acrobatics and pull her stitches out! (My Binky's stitches came out - not a nice sight - so check them regularly) Can the kittens go in another room for a couple of days? That way you can keep Pandora in the cage and let Moses free range. Make sure they can see/smell each other and keep swapping bedding and toilets etc around so their bond doesn't break.

Let them together when you can keep an eye on them though, as long as there's no funny business they'll be fine.

For the other question, rabbits can handle stairs etc so are fine as house rabbits, but be careful of wires etc and doors closing (you don't want them getting closed off from their food all day by accident.)

Let us know how the op goes!

Back