• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Surgery tomorrow !

Hannah5184

New Kit
Hi every one my 2 lovely girl rabbits are going to be nutered in the morning. They are my first ever rabbits so am still learning has any one got any advice for me that I would find help ful there Re normally out door rabbits (well a big hutch in the shed which they have the run of and a large run ) . But they are coming in the house tomorrow evening should I use blankets of wood shavings?. Also my vet said that I could take the bunnies home the same day has does any one no what time I may be able to collect them for example were you able to pick yours up the same day if so what time ? I care very much about them so want them to be healthy when they get older so I know I am doing the right thing I just worrie about them. Ant advice would be really useful thanks !

Hi Hannah :)

When my female cupcake was spayed I was told to just use newspaper and soft meadow hay for bedding, as you wouldnt want to irritate the scar, and it needs to say as clean as possible so changing the newspaper at least once daily is a must.

Make sure you feed them as normal, and take some of the favourite food, r.e hay, pellets, veggies with them to the vets for when they come round from the operation and anasthetic.

Normally my vets do the spay's about 10am, and you can go and pick them up from 5 ish onwards. They let them come round from the anasthetic, and try and encourage them to eat, as they are very groggy for about 2 hours afterwards, and are obviously sore.

You sound like a lovely rabbit owner, your definately doing the right thing getting them spayed.

Make sure you keep their vaccinations upto date, and if their behaviour changes at all, i.e not eating, drinking, or pooing, then seek vetinary attention IMMEDIATELY. Rabbits are prey animals, so when you can see they are in pain they are detoriating very fast.

This forum is so useful, feel free to post about things you are not sure about, everyone is friendly and will help in every way they can :)

Good luck for your 2 buns tomorrow at the vets, please let us know how they get on :)

xx

Hope everything goes ok !

I wouldn't advise using wood shavings though, as they have sharp bits that would poke or open the closed wound again. This would cause great amounts of discomfort.
In general wood shavings aren't good and can cause respiratory infections in rabbits and other small animals. This is a reason why I have stopped using them.

If you wanted you could use newspaper that's more safer and will be more comfortable. You're doing the right thing by the way by bring her inside as she'll need to feel relaxed - are her and your other female bonded ?

If yes putting them together after the spay will be good and will reassure the spayed female that all is well.

Were they taken to the vets together? Because this will keep their bond strong. One wont smell different and wont be attacked by the other one mistaking its another bun.

Is your other female spayed too ?

Remember to post pics in the pic section ;):love:

Back