• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to pack for a day at the vet?

Vita

Mama Doe
Mine are spending the day at the vet tomorrow as one of them is having nasal swab tests done under GA. I called the vet, but they didn't phone me back, and they have to be in first thing in the morning. Soooo....
Do I need to take any food for them, so they have stuff they like? (Just hay, or greens and/ or pellets too?) Is there anything else I should take? (e.g. water bowl... they prefer water from bowls but will drink from a bottle too.)
Anything else I should know?

Will the one who's been under need any special care when they come home in the evening?

when your buny waked up from GA,you need to make him as comfatable as you can and try to make it smell like him. maybe a blanket he likes or a toy ?
Bring some hay, food and his favourite treats or veg to encourage him to eat when he wakes up :) Alsobring a water bottle to for him :)

if you want to ke an eye on them when they come home, keep them indoors for the night to make ure they are eatting and drinking ok :)

Favourite snacks,favourite blankie and toy,water bowls not neccessary as they will have some there.
After a nasal swab under a GA i just think rest and food.Best of lick.xx

Thanks!

That sounds like I'll need Herby Harvest (favourite hay), some fresh basil or rocket and a water hyacinth ball, as their favourite tunnel is way too big for this. They adore water hyacinth and will chew the ball to bits in a couple of days. They don't have lots of toys yet as I've had to spend so much money on vet fees and transport. No plastic toys but I may have to get some if they're going to be on antibiotics for sniffles. They don't have a blanket, though there is a large piece of Vetbed in the carrier; would that do?

They are indoor only bunnies anyway. (A house rabbit is one who wanders about the house like a cat or dog, isn't it? These have been too ill to become proper house rabbits yet. Didn't seem like a good idea to have them sneezing everywhere.)

I always let the vet know if they use a bowl or a water bottle and if they usually use a litter tray or not.

They almost always pee in the litter tray, and poo in it maybe 60-70% of the time. These vets know a lot about rabbits, and see a lot of them, so hopefully they will have litter trays there.

They almost always pee in the litter tray, and poo in it maybe 60-70% of the time. These vets know a lot about rabbits, and see a lot of them, so hopefully they will have litter trays there.

A good vet won't want to send a rabbit home after a GA unless they're going to the toilet so I think it's important to make it as easy as possible for them to go. Hopefully they have one they can pop in. :)

Back