• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dust free hay

weedug

Mama Doe
Does anyone get the stalky variety from Dust Free Hay? I got a bag to try from Kermit, which my buns loved, so I sent away for 10 bags. The first bag I opened was lovely, but all the others look more like straw, with the odd bit hay-like strand.

Is the stalky variety like that at times? I loved the other bags as there were lovely grass heads and even the odd flower in it.

I got it in hessan bags, so couldn't tell beforehand what the stuff inside looked like.

Yes, it looked a lot like straw over the summer, but the latest batch is more mixed again. Although my bunnies all love the "straw". They are not keen on the soft hay at all. The stuff that looks like straw is still higher in nutrition than real straw. They had a thing about this on their website, but I can't find it there any more now.

My bags are a mix of both recently. The grassy stuff is the newer stuff, my buns also love the stalky staw like stuff, they go more mad for that!

Yes, I got the 10 bags of stalky the last time I ordered - I agree, it does look more like straw, but is obviously still hay.

I remember reading on the site a bit about why this was too - I can't find the bit I remember, but found this:

"This hay (the stalky) tends not to be as green as the meadow hay as it takes longer to make as the stem is thicker and so it has to be left in the sun longer to make".

Thanks for the replies. Such a shame the hay varies so much. My buns absolutely loved the first 2 bags, but don't like the other ones, so far.

Really hope I'm not left with 9 bags nobun wants, and no dust free hay for Honey.

You could always donate it to a rescue if they really don't like it. Or use it as bedding in winter, as it will be better for insulation. :) Unfortunately hay is a product which depends on the weather and other factors that the farmers can't really influence, so the quality in this country will never be exactly the same.

Had already thought of both these suggestions :wave:.

It's just being picky, I know. My buns did love the first sacks of hay. Can't get over how dusty a lot of the other hay is, by comparison :shock:

My bunnies are quite fussy, too. They love the oat, wheat and barley hay from Alfalfa King, but only two of the three types in it. The third type gets left over. They don't like orchard grass or anything which is too soft. Readigrass and stalky hay is much more popular with them, and they even nibble the straw which I use in their litter boxes. The lastest batch of DF stalky hay smells really nice, but they still go for the stalkiest bits first.

Back