• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can anyone help? Pics. Ranting UD Pg 3/ Pics too.

Aly&Poppy<3

Wise Old Thumper
The bunny we are now no longer in care of :( has come on so much with a bit of love and attention, and exercise. Bless him :( Hoping to get him :(
He licked James this morning! :love: And he is such a teddy bear :love: How can they not want to love him..

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?317193-Pictures-of-the-poor-bunny-s-hutch-(

But anyway, I have taken pictures of his back, which on Monday was like a lump of fur that hadn't been brushed, or he was biting/licking it, but this afternoon when we sorted his hutch out it's gone like, MEGA dandruffy :? The lump of fur is covered in white dandruff like flakes, and I mean covered. We have no idea why it's done this. I remember reading something a while ago about it, about skin conditions and things. It doesn't seem to be on his skin but we can't really tell because of how much flakey stuff there is there now.

They have a ferret that I saw today and it is also missing a lot of fur, it is also a very tiny ferret :? and they were obviously not planning on looking after it as they have filled 2 dog bowls of food and a dog bowl of water for it :( When they went to America for 3 weeks the woman who was checking on the house "" checked on the rabbit and he had no water :( in a small hutch for a week with no water :( it is pure neglect for both bunny and ferret! :evil: "Oh yeah, we take him for the jabs" .. with a broken carrier? Okay.

But here are the pictures; you can't really see because of his white fur; (as you can see, total 'killer bunny' by the way he is attacking us..) Also a picture of him in his hutch with my bf holding my phone for the time and I have the date on the camera, as they are now back from holiday we have taken the time we left him and will go tomorrow and see if they have got him out. If they haven't then we will do the same as well as the date, but if he is outside we will take a picture because he won't be covered up (we took a tarpaulin) and with a possible skin condition.

PICT0008-1.jpg

PICT0010-1.jpg

PICT0011-2.jpg

PICT0003-3.jpg

Last edited:
Oh bless him :cry: I really hope you manage to get him out of there :evil:

Just a thought, could it be mites? There is a type of mite that's known as 'walking dandruff'. They're seriously tiny though.

I too would go for mites. Make sure you are decontaminating yourself thoroughly before going anywhere near your bunnies. This poor bunny needs a vet :(

My Binky had this once. The vet said it was either a bite which was healing, or a kind of small dandruff like thing rabbits can get. Anyone know what I'm on about?

In Binky's case it was a bite from her sister! It healed fine though with antibiotics just incase.

Oh bless him :cry: I really hope you manage to get him out of there :evil:

Just a thought, could it be mites? There is a type of mite that's known as 'walking dandruff'. They're seriously tiny though.

So do we :( They're coming over tomorrow night so we will grill them so to speak, if they don't do anything (probably won't) then we will have him, no problem and straight to the vets.

I thought mites but I have never seen what they actually do so I have no idea :? We checked and it just comes off but there seems to be more under that. The clump of fur seems to be hiding more so I don't know if something is living in it :? I don't want his fur to start falling out :(

This does look very much like 'walking dandruff' which is a mite - he will need treating as it is very very itchy and will eventually cause hair loss, scabs and infection. This does look like a bad case. If they do not have enough room to groom properly then they are very prone to this (or if they have teeth or joint problems so cannot get round to clean all over).

PS DO NOT let the owners just 'get something from the pet shop' for this - it needs specicific treatment

mmm not really sure what it could be but i feel so sorry for that bun, the state of that hutch, its rank! Pee is clearly soaking through the door, why was it left that long to be cleaned :( i hope you take him on.

My Binky had this once. The vet said it was either a bite which was healing, or a kind of small dandruff like thing rabbits can get. Anyone know what I'm on about?

In Binky's case it was a bite from her sister! It healed fine though with antibiotics just incase.

Thought he might need antibiotics :( We will check on his tomorrow again, and tell them, if they do nothing then we will call the RSPCA.

I too would go for mites. Make sure you are decontaminating yourself thoroughly before going anywhere near your bunnies. This poor bunny needs a vet :(

My 2 outdoor bunnies are at home (although we go back every day to sort them out) and Poppy is the indoor bun who lives in my bf's room, we wash our hands twice and make sure there isn't anything "outsidey" on us just in case he hasn't had hi myxi/VHD or indeed has mites :( It's so horrible to see another bunny suffer when if he was mine he would have been to the vets long ago :(

So do we :( They're coming over tomorrow night so we will grill them so to speak, if they don't do anything (probably won't) then we will have him, no problem and straight to the vets.

I thought mites but I have never seen what they actually do so I have no idea :? We checked and it just comes off but there seems to be more under that. The clump of fur seems to be hiding more so I don't know if something is living in it :? I don't want his fur to start falling out :(

I once found these mites on my hamster's water bottle, my (then single) rabbit lived indoors then, so I got both her and Wilson (the hamster) treated for them just in case - even though there were no signs on either of them that the mites had got anywhere other than on the water bottle (not sure what happened there!).

Anyway, it was just a precautionary measure, but it involved 3 separate trips to the vets for a course of ivermectin. Maybe if you explain to this bunny's owners about all the 'hassle' and consultation fees (which were actually quite reasonable, but shhh), they might be inclined to let you take over. A bit cheeky, but if they cared about him enough then vet trips and fees would be natural and accepted, and they would take him themselves.

This does look very much like 'walking dandruff' which is a mite - he will need treating as it is very very itchy and will eventually cause hair loss, scabs and infection. This does look like a bad case. If they do not have enough room to groom properly then they are very prone to this (or if they have teeth or joint problems so cannot get round to clean all over).

PS DO NOT let the owners just 'get something from the pet shop' for this - it needs specicific treatment

Also maybe he bit himself through boredom? He has spent 2 weeks in that hutch (maybe longer) with no toys. They don't clean him out either, just put more hay in which makes the 1ft 2inches high hutch even smaller for him :( As you can see he is a very big bunny. Bigger than my Donny who is part french lop. We will tell them but they won't do anything, and depending on how long the RSPCA say they are going to take to get here then we are taking him ourselves. (We will tell them first but tbh, I don't think they will care)

mmm not really sure what it could be but i feel so sorry for that bun, the state of that hutch, its rank! Pee is clearly soaking through the door, why was it left that long to be cleaned :( i hope you take him on.

I know :( we have tried to get rid of the putrid smell that was coming off it, it was a lot worse than that in the pictures believe me. They bought this rabbit because the son has ferrets (had ferrets) so they didn't want the daughter who is allergic to fur to feel left out... :roll::evil: They pay their gardener to look after them, which he doesn't do :evil: and he's only there on a Friday.. The disinfectant they had clearly hadn't been used for a long time and the picture on it is very old. We bought some of ours up because it didn't smell like it was working (if that makes sense)

I once found these mites on my hamster's water bottle, my (then single) rabbit lived indoors then, so I got both her and Wilson (the hamster) treated for them just in case - even though there were no signs on either of them that the mites had got anywhere other than on the water bottle (not sure what happened there!).

Anyway, it was just a precautionary measure, but it involved 3 separate trips to the vets for a course of ivermectin. Maybe if you explain to this bunny's owners about all the 'hassle' and consultation fees (which were actually quite reasonable, but shhh), they might be inclined to let you take over. A bit cheeky, but if they cared about him enough then vet trips and fees would be natural and accepted, and they would take him themselves.

I hope they take him :( but 3 trips for 2 people who earn £150,000+ a year is too expensive you see, they are always moaning they have to spend money on things when they just waste it on stupid stuff.. Whereas I am a part-timer on £90 a week and I would pay anything for my bunnies.. They are too arrogant and pig-headed to see him as a living thing, he is 'just a rabbit'.. :evil::censored: I wish they would just give him to us :( We would have him neutered and love him :( and get him off that rubbish food he is on, he eats the useless stuff and misses out the fibrous pellets, and he eats that much food he doesn't eat that much hay so maybe teeth issues too :( he has a runny eye like Pops so may well be another issue :( If he was ours it would be SS pellets all the way. All of my rabbits have them, so even though Poppy doesn't eat hay she has good sized poops whereas his are black and tiny :(

I hope they take him :( but 3 trips for 2 people who earn £150,000+ a year is too expensive you see, they are always moaning they have to spend money on things when they just waste it on stupid stuff.. Whereas I am a part-timer on £90 a week and I would pay anything for my bunnies.. They are too arrogant and pig-headed to see him as a living thing, he is 'just a rabbit'.. :evil::censored: I wish they would just give him to us :( We would have him neutered and love him :( and get him off that rubbish food he is on, he eats the useless stuff and misses out the fibrous pellets, and he eats that much food he doesn't eat that much hay so maybe teeth issues too :( he has a runny eye like Pops so may well be another issue :( If he was ours it would be SS pellets all the way. All of my rabbits have them, so even though Poppy doesn't eat hay she has good sized poops whereas his are black and tiny :(

Mine are on SS now, it's good stuff :) As long as their daughter isn't attached to him, it doesn't sound like they'd be too bothered if you took him on yourself! They obviously never spend any time with him, even to clean his tiny hutch, so they wouldn't be missing much if you took him off their hands. As far as they are concerned, he is an unfriendly, expensive hassle, who is in need of more money and more hassle - surely it's in their interests to give him to you.

I can echo that it will normally take at least 2 trips to the vets for these . . sometimes 3 for stubborn cases (we have mite problems with our girl with no front teeth).

PS rather than risking angering them by accusing them (albeit rightly) if cruelty and neglect - can you just say you have fallen in love with him and please please please can you have him and how he will be just ideal with your others etc etc - cry if needs be . . .

PS rather than risking angering them by accusing them (albeit rightly) if cruelty and neglect - can you just say you have fallen in love with him and please please please can you have him and how he will be just ideal with your others etc etc - cry if needs be . . .

Agreed - don't make them angry! It doesn't matter what they think you think of how they treat him if you manage to convince them to let you have him!

Mine are on SS now, it's good stuff :) As long as their daughter isn't attached to him, it doesn't sound like they'd be too bothered if you took him on yourself! They obviously never spend any time with him, even to clean his tiny hutch, so they wouldn't be missing much if you took him off their hands. As far as they are concerned, he is an unfriendly, expensive hassle, who is in need of more money and more hassle - surely it's in their interests to give him to you.

She is too busy getting drunk every night with her friends :roll: (not even kidding, she's 16 and they will buy her the alcohol.. absolute morons) But who knows what will happen :(

We will try, but they are the most irritating people ever :evil: We can tell them what needs to happen, give them leaflets but they will just be like "well what do YOU know, he's OUR rabbit" I've already told James I can't go with him downstairs because I will just end up arguing/crying/knock their heads together hard:evil: and then I'll be straight on the phone and emailing the pictures to the RSPCA, they are the people who wouldn't want that over their heads but I really don't care what they don't want.

She is too busy getting drunk every night with her friends :roll: (not even kidding, she's 16 and they will buy her the alcohol.. absolute morons) But who knows what will happen :(

We will try, but they are the most irritating people ever :evil: We can tell them what needs to happen, give them leaflets but they will just be like "well what do YOU know, he's OUR rabbit" I've already told James I can't go with him downstairs because I will just end up arguing/crying/knock their heads together hard:evil: and then I'll be straight on the phone and emailing the pictures to the RSPCA, they are the people who wouldn't want that over their heads but I really don't care what they don't want.

Trouble is - that sort of people will actually just let him 'free' rather than do what the RSPCA say - or even just open the hutch and turf him out into the wild if they are warned the inspector is coming - I have known this happen. The pet dies but what do they care???

Also maybe he bit himself through boredom? He has spent 2 weeks in that hutch (maybe longer) with no toys. They don't clean him out either, just put more hay in which makes the 1ft 2inches high hutch even smaller for him :( As you can see he is a very big bunny. Bigger than my Donny who is part french lop. We will tell them but they won't do anything, and depending on how long the RSPCA say they are going to take to get here then we are taking him ourselves. (We will tell them first but tbh, I don't think they will care)

I know :( we have tried to get rid of the putrid smell that was coming off it, it was a lot worse than that in the pictures believe me. They bought this rabbit because the son has ferrets (had ferrets) so they didn't want the daughter who is allergic to fur to feel left out... :roll::evil: They pay their gardener to look after them, which he doesn't do :evil: and he's only there on a Friday.. The disinfectant they had clearly hadn't been used for a long time and the picture on it is very old. We bought some of ours up because it didn't smell like it was working (if that makes sense)

Sounds horrible, i wish you the best of luck, hopefully they'll just hand him over to you but i wouldnt get your hopes up. They sound like the sort of people who dont really want him but nobody else can have him :?

Been following this thread, hoping and praying that you can take this poor bunny on, and give him the home he deserves.

Have you any updates?

:)

Back