• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nail Cutting - do you do it?

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Nail cutting has always mystified me . . with the exception of buns with specific problems that mean they do not move around much - none of my buns has ever had their nails cut or needed them cutting (and yes the vet does check them when they have their jabs - so thats 3 times a year) or if they are in for any other reason.

So how come so many people seem to mention nail cutting on their threads?

I feel I am doing something wrong somehow:?:?

I think it depends on the bunny, the life style, the accommodation, etc. Sandy never, EVER needs her back nails cut because she wears them down herself. Everybunny else does though.

Yes, I cut mine, every 4-6 weeks. I like mine really close to the quick though- they can find their own length, often a bit longer than I would prefer.

Maybe your rabbits are on hard ground and do a lot of digging? That wears down their nails. But many people have indoor rabbits on carpet, or in setups with wooden or vinyl floors, and then the nails just don't get enough use. When my rabbits had their run on paving slabs, their back nails didn't need cutting, but the front ones did. Now they are on vinyl floor and I have to cut their nails every 3 months or so.

When mine were on paving slabs I found they didn't need doing, when they're on grass they need doing more often. They don't dig in their run or anything and can be quite lazy so they don't get worn down that much! Jelly Bean & Sapphire haven't had to have theirs done since being with me as they're on the paving slabs and so they get worn down.

I find it varies from bun to bun. Although my buns have paving slab runs this is not enough to wear everybuns nails down. It depends how much they run around.

Blossom and Pips are quite lazy buns so I have to cut theirs often along with Eric and Maisie. Lavender and Oxo and Treacle and Snow less often and Big and Beige never, they just wear them down but they never stop runnnig around. Also have to trim the pigs nails about twice a year too.

My girls are mini rexes and they need their nails kept short because of sore hocks. Also they are kept on hay so don't wear them down at all. i find I need to cut them every 3-4 weeks.

Buckley needs his claws cutting. He's a houserabbit so they don't get much wear.
Of course he won't sit still long enough for me to do them. So far I've managed one paw. Have no idea how I'm going to get him to let me do his back claws.

House rabbits Especially need their nails kept nice and short because they wear down less and are more likely catch them.
mine are done once every 2 weeks.

i rarely need to do the outdoor buns:lol:

Back