• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

None Spayed Single Bun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RabbitSammy

Warren Scout
My bun lives on her own with me. She is not spayed and is healthy enough. I understand the risks involved but i really don't want to put her through a big operation. In my opinion it would not be in her best interests. Yes, I understand many of you will have a go at me, and claim I don't know how to look after her but this is my opinion. I love her so much so please nobody say I don't.

Can anyone recommend anything I can give her to maybe narrow down the risks?

Also, she hasn't had a companion all her life. We bought her a 'friend' and put it in with her but she attempted to Kill it and so we removed the other bun and separated them. However this other Bun, Fudge, Died two weeks ago. So please don't tell me off for not having a companion for Snowy as she wouldn't let it in with her anyway!!

Photo0538.jpg

No will tell you off but we can advise.

The risks of your bun dying from the spay op with a good vet are far far lower than her developing uterine cancer and dying from that.

It will be her hormones that caused her to try to kill the other rabbit, again spaying and careful bonding will help with this. Unfortunately its highly unlikely you will be able to bond her with a friend until she is spayed and has been for around 6 weeks

Ah, Spaying is not an option i'm afraid. My mother will not allow me to take her to the vets to get her spayed.
Can I do anything to lower the risks of developing cancer?

Ah, Spaying is not an option i'm afraid. My mother will not allow me to take her to the vets to get her spayed.

Unfortunately not really. Do you mind me asking why your mum doesnt want to spay her?

No, there is nothing else you can do. There will be lots of other ways you can enrich her life and improve it though :) even if she can't have a friend, maybe you could work on improving other areas?

Not really. Female rabbits are at the risks as webble posted above.

Only you and your vet can decide together the risks of spaying - why not have a chat with him?

Rabbits are territorial, they will defend any area they consider their home, so it doesn't work to just put a new rabbit in with your exhisting rabbit, they must be introduced on neutral territory and kept there until each has accepted the other in the neutral territory. As hormones run wild in unneutered rabbits the chances of bonding two unaltered animals is slim and it would be a dangerous thing to try IMO.

My mum doesn't believe in spaying '' Smaller pets''. Which I know is unfair.. Snowy, and all rabbits, are living, breathing, feeling animals. If I had my own way i'd have her spayed right now. No matter what I say she just says ''No''.

Believe me, I am just as frustrated as you probably are.

i have one uspayed female and the vet isnt keen on spaying of her age :( i wish i had done it when she was younger but i didnt know about any of the risks !for my younger female i am getting her spayed with her future husbun. my unspayed female is bonded and obvous her partner is neutured !
there is no other way of preventing it
i am even thinking of getting a second opinion with my older bun.

My mum doesn't believe in spaying '' Smaller pets''. Which I know is unfair.. Snowy, and all rabbits, are living, breathing, feeling animals. If I had my own way i'd have her spayed right now. No matter what I say she just says ''No''.

Do you think your mum would listen if someone were to explains the resons for spaying to her or if you showed her this thread? Is she aware of the risks involved innot spaying? Have you spoken to your vet about this? Has she/ he given any advise?

Living by parents rules when you're under their roof is difficult, i appreciate that :) If we provided you with leaflets/information, could you show your mum? Could she be persuaded with real world proof? Or are we fighting a losing battle?

My rabbit has never been to the vets. So no, he has not discussed anything with me.
And, No, My mum would just dismiss the idea of spaying her.

Trust me, when I leave home. I will get more rabbits, get a big garden, a bigger hutch, toys. And i promise you I will spay my females and get them inoculated against diseases.

Living by parents rules when you're under their roof is difficult, i appreciate that :) If we provided you with leaflets/information, could you show your mum? Could she be persuaded with real world proof? Or are we fighting a losing battle?

I'm so happy you do, others don't. :') So Thank You. I pray she would but the reality of it is that she probably wouldn't.

My rabbit has never been to the vets. So no, he has not discussed anything with me.

Trust me, when I leave home. I will get more rabbits, get a big garden, a bigger hutch, toys. And i promise you I will spay my females and get them inoculated against diseases.

So she's not spayed, or vaccinated, but lives outside? Does your mum understand that is really unfair on the bun?

Sorry, im complete un-articulate with words, so i apologise if my posts come across as blunt.

I have enough money, mum will just not take me down, Or she will say '' NO SPEND THE MONEY ON SOMETHING USEFUL LIKE A CAR.''
I have a job, a weekly income. But at 15, I cannot drive down to the vets and there are no buses to get there!!

So she's not spayed, or vaccinated, but lives outside? Does your mum understand that is really unfair on the bun?

Sorry, im complete un-articulate with words, so i apologise if my posts come across as blunt.

Sadly not, But I do. Many of you will not believe that. I love my bun and i would do anything to make her life better. But she isn't allowed in the house, or to the vets. I know this is unfair and I feel awful.

I'm not wanting you to feel sorry for me, I just wanted to know if there is a way to lower the risks of cancer for my bun..x

In your first post you say that you don't believe it's in her best interests to put her through a big operation but here, a few posts later, you say that you would have it done but you mum won't allow it, so a bit confused as to what the real reason it. Nobody will have a go at you if you say you are too scared to put her through it because you might lose her. Honestly though, if it is that you are scared for her, spaying her really is a lot lower risk that it was a few years ago, especially if you take her to a rabbit-confident vet. 80% of does over 4 have uterine cancer (not a guess, actual scientific figures) so the risk is high. She's not old for such an operation either.

Was it you who's mother refused to get vet treatment for one bun that went on to die?

YOur bun really needs to be vaccinated against mxy every 6 months and also vhd once a year. These vaccs cost between 15-20 pounds depending on your vet and could potentially save your rabbits life. I would discuss this with your mum and explain the situation to her

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back