• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pet Auction Last Night.

RabbitSammy

Warren Scout
I went to a pet auction last night and there was the most adorable bun there!! She was a 4 month old Lionhead X and was a smokey grey colour. I FELL IN LOVE. But mum wouldn't let me buy it :l

N'aaaaaaaaaaaaw!!!!!!!

Pet auctions should be closed down :( Anyone can sell, anyone can buy, and they go for ridiculously cheap prices, easy childrens pets/snake food/dog toys. An auction a local pet shop went to were selling an angora rabbit matted from head to toe when they're supposedly 'health checked' :roll: I hope the rabbits found a good home but really you're best not supporting the trade, besides that for all you know the rabbit could be severely inbred and carrying all sorts of underlying health issues :( I used to have an auction rabbit myself (the people from the pet shop, before it was a pet shop dumped him on me), luckily he appears healthy but he's incredibly untame and could sometimes take hours to catch

I got Snowy from the Auction 3 years ago and she's healthy :) I completely agree with you, the auction isn't the best place in the world. Although , they all get sold. None of them stay at the auction they are sold for like a pound if they don't get bought. But yes, It isn't great. I went to get some straw. :) But it was gorgeous this little bun. I really wished i'd got it. :(

I imagine they do all get sold, unfortunatley not all to loving homes :cry: some will go in a pot and some will go in a snake. It's the same at horse sales, the meat man mops up any that aren't fetching a decent price :(

Ask your mum not to take you to these auctions any more. They are too heartbreaking. Maybe she could take you to a vet instead. You could pay her for the petrol. ;)

:oops: feel a bit silly and blinkered :oops: BUT I didnt realise they had animal auctions :shock:

Yep and they're horrific! Ask Jill (Honeybunny) about them. She has been to the Melton one.

I'm sorry, but anyone who goes and buys from these places is just encouraging the auctions to continue.

I have never seen a pet auction advertised either. I would be horrified. It would break my heart wondering where all those poor animals are going what ever species they are. Could be dog fighting bait, greyhound training bait, snake food anything! :shock: Because they are so cheap people might buy them as pets when they have not really looked into having that particular type of pet and don't know how to look after them properly or don't have the correct type of accomoadation. I think it is very sad even though I am sure some of the animals will go to good caring owners.

Pet auctions should be banned.

I've been to Melton market several times, mainly to keep a watch on the condition of the horses. So I can report any ill treatment. I got both my buns there, both times given away because they didn't sell. The ferret man would have taken them to be ferret food. I'm glad I did it, because I saved their life :D

all bunnies desreve a good home,no matter where they come from !
the bunny didnt choose to be at an auction :(

They do all deserve good homes but unfortunately buying from a pet shop/auction/byb is doing nothing but supporting the cruel trade, lining their pockets and encouraging them to produce even more rabbits in bad conditions with little care for welfare and genetic issues. It's horrible because we want to help rabbits, but by buying from these places we're only encouraging them to breed more, also in need of help

I did not realise there were such things as pet auctions!

I know all about cattle and horse auctions, there is one close to me and i know that most of the horses get sold as zoo meat, and even the ones that aren't sold and are put into rescue, are soon up hor zoo meat if not found loving homes soon as the rescues just can't keep them all, i really want to do something about it, but i can't afford to keep even one horse, let alone lots so i just have to ignore it :(

i been to a horse auction before not a bunyn one

didint buy any but most went for hardly nothing for slaughter probably :(:(

Last edited:
Back