• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vibes for Bonnie Please/Vibes worked

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
She is having a GA soon for an internal exam and possible dental. She was very frail and weak this morning and lost even more weight so she may not make it :( Please keep your fingers crossed for a gentle timid wee soul who does not deserve to be in this pain and discomfort.

Last edited:
Come on Bonnie chick, make sure you fight and keep fighting and come round quickly and be back home with your family ASAP. x

Thank you everyone. If all goes well I am to call back at 3pm for an update. It hurts so much to see her suffer although she managed a bunny kiss this morning when I visited her so I hope she has some fight left. She is the agouti brown uppy eared bunny in my sig and such a sweetheart. Its always the nicest bunnies who get ill :(

She made it

Bonnie has come round really well from the operation. She did indeed have molar spurs and the nurse I spoke described them as whoppers. She said that Bonnie’s tongue was partially trapped behind one as well which is what the vet suspected. They have been burred now and she is to be picked up at 5pm and the spurs may come back so we have to watch her for the same symptoms and she will get the same treatment as and when needed.

Thank everyone who sent vibes, they obviously did the trick :D

YAY! I hope this is the start to her recovery and she feels much better now :D thank goodness for your persistance with them checking her out properly.

Bonnie is home now :) She is fairly bright and has drunk a lot. The vet and I had a long chat and he explained that due to her age her molars have become slightly misaligned and therefore no longer grind against each other which has allowed them to grow. He also said she is a little deprived of calcium but that is probably due to the fact that she has not been eating her hay and grass as normal. Apparently the spurs may regrow so we have a check up in six weeks and then we will have another one after another 6 weeks. He said she may need a few dentals a year but if she were to get 4 or more he said we would have to consider whether or not that is fair on her. He didn't elaborate but I assume he means pts if she started to need too many? Is that a normal veterinary opinion? Do other dental bunnie owners agree with this?

I've taken a few photos of my poorly girl who is currently resting up with Nori her husbun in my bedroom and will post them in the photos section. Both Nori and my OH are absolute stars too. OH has comforted and kept me sane all day and despite knowing Nori will be noisy tonight he does not mind a jot that we are sharing our room once again with bunnies.

Nori has had a wife bun before Bonnie, she (Ebonnie) was Bonnie's sister and suffered from chronic gut failure and he cared for her and suported her through the condition until she died. Now he is doing the same again for his second wifey :love: He is a naturally affectionate bun and the lickiest I have ever known and he is a real star for taking such good care of her :love:

I'm so glad she is bright :) Drinking is really important because it helps process the GA through her system.

Rabbits vary. She may need another dental quickly, she may need one many months down the line, maybe even years. It really can vary depending on the problem. I do think though, that whilst 6 weekly checks are maybe useful, you are the one who needs to be super vigilant because you are the one who will pick up when she next needs one by her behaviour.

With regards to the timeframe, I don't believe that IS normal vets advice. Really, I think it depends on the bunny, how they cope after the GA, how their nature is generally, etc, as to what is and isn't fair. Some bunnies have a GA every 3-4 weeks, some many months apart.

My Sky takes about a week, plus, to recover because he can't cope with being somewhere away from me. If he needed one every 3-4 weeks he would spend most of his life recovering, so I would have to consider if that was fair.

Equally, I have Roger who is petrified of people and handling and if he needed GAs that often, I would have to work out if that was best for him.

On the other hand, I have Wish and Autumn who bounce back very quickly, and Wish is very dental and we would have done every 3 weeks if she had needed it. I've had others who would cope fine with dentals every 3-4 weeks too (although my bank balance would be taking a severe hit :lol:).

I think really, while making a decision on what you think is best for her, look at what she is telling you, not at what the vet is telling you (might be helpful to read my 'Please Remember to Advocate for your Bunny' link in my sig- for a couple of reasons). Obviously don't just disregard the vets advice, but put your point across for what YOU think is best for her and make sure the vet hears. If he doesn't, try a different vet :)

I'm so glad she is bright :) Drinking is really important because it helps process the GA through her system.

Rabbits vary. She may need another dental quickly, she may need one many months down the line, maybe even years. It really can vary depending on the problem. I do think though, that whilst 6 weekly checks are maybe useful, you are the one who needs to be super vigilant because you are the one who will pick up when she next needs one by her behaviour.

With regards to the timeframe, I don't believe that IS normal vets advice. Really, I think it depends on the bunny, how they cope after the GA, how their nature is generally, etc, as to what is and isn't fair. Some bunnies have a GA every 3-4 weeks, some many months apart.

My Sky takes about a week, plus, to recover because he can't cope with being somewhere away from me. If he needed one every 3-4 weeks he would spend most of his life recovering, so I would have to consider if that was fair.

Equally, I have Roger who is petrified of people and handling and if he needed GAs that often, I would have to work out if that was best for him.

On the other hand, I have Wish and Autumn who bounce back very quickly, and Wish is very dental and we would have done every 3 weeks if she had needed it. I've had others who would cope fine with dentals every 3-4 weeks too (although my bank balance would be taking a severe hit :lol:).

I think really, while making a decision on what you think is best for her, look at what she is telling you, not at what the vet is telling you (might be helpful to read my 'Please Remember to Advocate for your Bunny' link in my sig- for a couple of reasons). Obviously don't just disregard the vets advice, but put your point across for what YOU think is best for her and make sure the vet hears. If he doesn't, try a different vet :)

Thank you so much for this advice. My vet is very good in all respects and I hope I never have to change but obviously I would if it was best for the bunnies. That link is great too. I have only ever had to advocate for a bunny once before in 2004 when Nori's first wife Ebonnie was paralysed and could not walk. I was convinced we could make her better with a herbal diet and the vet wanted to pts. I told him to give me two weeks and the required meds and she was walking again within that time and soon became our speediest bunny and the highest jumper. But that was when I was still a VN and had my hand in the veterinary world. Now I don't so I am definitely out of touch with things but you are right, it is really down to Bonnie and how she behaves and copes with the whole situation. I really hope she will stay healthy though as it would not be fair on Nori either to be widowed twice in such a short time. No doubt I will have to update this thread in 6 weeks time so time will tell but I am so glad there are so many knowledgeable caring people on here with which I can share this experience.

Back