• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Improving the floor of the hutch

lupine lacuna

Warren Scout
So the obvious idea for me was Lino, so that it can come out more easily to clean, etc, but I have only seen it available in huge 10 foot rolls that cosy £30 quid in B&Q. Tiles I dont like the sound of because they require individually pinning down and I am concerned they'd come off as the bunnies chew them. Has anyone worked out a decent solution to this? Also, how does everyone make their nice little signatures? I'd really like one of my buns!

Hi, I got Lino off cuts from a local company, they were 2.7m x1.2m for £10. One of them had mark in it but the buns don't mind!!

If you can't get hold of off cuts which are often sold in small carpet shops rather than the big places like B & Q get lino tiles. Most of mine have those sticky lino tiles, they do really stick down firmly, I haven't had a problem with my buns chewing them because they are seriously stuck down. I get them from Pounland in packs of 5. As my buns use litter trays I usually put carpet on top of them anyway for warmth, comfort and foot grip.

You want a roll-end or offcut from your local carpet/flooring shop. Make sure you get non-slip stuff so that the bunnies don't slip and slide all over the place. Yes avoid the tiles as they get ripped up and the dirt collects in the gaps.

Hello :wave:

I use some sort of plastic underlay that I got from Wilkinsons (on a roll), I cut it to size and placed in the hutch. These, I can easily disinfect and dry. On top of that, I put 75p 'welcome mats' (again from Wilkinsons) to make sure it's soft and easy to walk on. As they are so cheap, I replace them every month. Bunnies seem happy, and don't chew the mats. :)

Great tip about the 75p mats from Wilko's!

I've been wondering how on earth I can improve their floor cheaply - this could be the answer. I'll get one mat first to see if they eat it. Fingers crossed no :)

Back