• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it just me?

DemiS

Warren Veteran
Is it just me that tries to gradually introduce various stresses to rabbits?

For example, my bonded pairs have very short breaks apart from each other, they're all used to loud noises, they're all used to travelling, they're all used to being handled by new people, they're all used to having to move about

I do it very gradually though (Say with the noise thing, I'll start off playing the radio around them quietly and gradually increase it till it's quite loud, and with travelling they'll start by just sitting in the car, then have short journeys, then go on longer ones)

Personally I think it's much better to get them gradually used to these things as early as possibly and in a controlled way rather than leaving it until one day they have to face these things (A vet trip for example) and are scared sensless because they've never experienced them before, which could potentially lead to more problems

I've never heard of anyone else do this but no ones commented when I've mentioned it, so is it just me? What are peoples views?

I think it's a very good idea. I think occasional pro-active syringe feeding would be helpful too - some rabbits get really stressed by this and/or medicating. Getting them used to it gently when they are younger/before they're ill could save a whole lot of stress-induced problems later on. It would also be useful in that the owner is often stressed when the rabbit's ill whereas if they could choose when to "practise" at a time that suited them it would be more relaxed all round...

I think it's a very good idea. I think occasional pro-active syringe feeding would be helpful too - some rabbits get really stressed by this and/or medicating. Getting them used to it gently when they are younger/before they're ill could save a whole lot of stress-induced problems later on. It would also be useful in that the owner is often stressed when the rabbit's ill whereas if they could choose when to "practise" at a time that suited them it would be more relaxed all round...

Ah yes I forgot to add that, when Hadley had stasis I had loads of baby food left over, so I tried giving a tiny bit to the others as a treat and they loved it, happily took it out of a syringe :)

I think it's especially important for rabbits with existing health issues where a lot of stress could make them worse

I think controlled then yes it's good but as always depends on the rabbit. It doesn't seem to matter how we introduce stresses to Smudge he still hates new people, new voices and car trips. He's very good with syringe feeding though.

I do this demi :wave:
I have to travel uite far distances with my bunnies ! Huddersfield is 1 hour away , burgess premier is 1 and a half and london pet show is 3 hours ! the only bunny i havent gradually got use to travellingi budddy because he was 11 weeks old hen i drove 1 hour ther and back to pickhi up but he was absolutley fine and is perfect with travelling now :) as for noise i play my phone music really liud while jumping and this gets them use the the noise ofthe crowd at displays :)

I did syringe train mine a few years ago, so most here won't have benefited from that.

I think it does just depend on the bunny though as to what is for their benefit and what isn't.

Back