• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

head tilt how long

hot cross bun

Alpha Buck
hi

my rabbit has been diagnosed with e c or ear infection she has been on panacur for 8days,a shot of metacam and baytril and 3 days orally baytril but there has been no improvement actually she is slighty worse vet is concerned about giving her to many drugs has she is only 12wks old but she is still eating well?

Its impossible to say how long the recovery process will be, its totally different from bun to bun and depends on whats wrong with them, the severity, getting the correct treatment etc. When my bun Mimi had head tilt due to an inner ear infection, she was completely immobilised for 6 weeks before starting to show signs of improvement. After that it was another few weeks until she was back on her feet and able to be a "normal" bunny.

I know of buns that have taken months to recover, and some that have taken a few days. Unfortunately theres those that dont make it aswell :(

I would *think* a longer course of panacur (I think 28 days is the full course) and stronger antibiotics are needed. or atleast a longer course of Baytril. It must be hard on such a young bun so discuss it with your vet.

Dont lose hope yet, head tilt buns offen get worse before they get better. Its horrible to see, but it can definatly be beaten :thumb:

It can take weeks or months to show an improvement and some bunnies never loose the actual head tilt but can still leave fruitful lives even with it. :thumb: They can adapt amazingly.

When Tilly and Rosie started the right treatment, they showed improvement within two days.

The older your bunny gets, the wider the variety of treament options there are for her, so it might be a case of hanging on until then.

she seems happy in her self running and playing with timber she just looks so deformed it breaks my heart, got to go back to vets friday

Olly developed his head tilt at about the same age :( I was gutted too. He was falling over and it was heartbreaking to watch. That was almost a year ago now. He still has a head tilt which affects him more when he's tired, but he still does bunny 500's and little binkies! :love: I still don't know for sure whether it's EC or inner ear infection, but he has regular panacur and if he looks to be getting worse he has a course of baytril too. It seems to be under control now :) don't lose hope, lots of tilty buns lead normal lives :wave:

she seems happy in her self running and playing with timber she just looks so deformed it breaks my heart, got to go back to vets friday

Its VERY positive that shes still getting around well and eating normally :D

As Elena said some buns never regain a normal head position, but aslong as they are healthy (i.e. the cause of the tilt is cured) they can lead normal lives and adapt incredibly well to their wonky world :)

Fortunately for me Mimis head is now only tilted at about 5 or 10 degrees, you wouldnt even notice it. I gave her regular *gentle* neck and shoulder massages when she was poorly which Im sure helped keep the muscles loose.

Fortunately for me Mimis head is now only tilted at about 5 or 10 degrees, you wouldnt even notice it. I gave her regular *gentle* neck and shoulder massages when she was poorly which Im sure helped keep the muscles loose.

Same here with Mischa :thumb: you could never tell he'd had head tilt, the deformation round his mouth from snuffles in January this year is more noticeable bless him.

It took our Lilly several months to get back to normal where she could do normal bunny things.
But she has been left with slight brain damage and is incontinent.
Each bunny is different. x

Back