• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sprocket has bloat again- vibes please

Thanks, at the moment he is refusing crunchies. :cry:

he's had an injection of gut stimulent, 1 ml of infacol and 9 drops of oral metacam. I'm going to prepare him some rescue remedy but should we wait a while for the drugs to kick in? He has groomed himself half heartedly..

Did the Vet not give pain relief via injection ? Oral meds may be ineffective if the GI tract is not working.

Did the Vet say where the bloat is, stomach or intestines ?

This is relevant re when/IF to syringe feed

No he only gave the gut stimulant via injection. It's his stomach that is bloated (he had us feel just below the ribcage for the bloat and siad it was his tum. :cry:

No he only gave the gut stimulant via injection. It's his stomach that is bloated (he had us feel just below the ribcage for the bloat and siad it was his tum. :cry:

In that case I would be very reluctant to give anything but water by mouth. If the outlet from the stomach (the pylorus) is obstructed syringe feeding may make things much worse as the food will not be able to pass through the stomach and it will ferment and cause more gas/bloating.

I am assuming that the Vet was confident that there is not a full obstruction given that he administered metoclopromide ?

Did Vet give any fluids subcutaneously ?

yes he's indoors. We're keeping him in overnight. Last time he was up and about in no time. this time he's really not well. I can't even syringe him some critical care bacause the syringe keeps getting blocked. Should I try and get him moving or just let him be? I managed to get some water into him but he's not interested in food.

Back