• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Uh oh.. Cats got fleas.. do I need to deflea the rabbits?

o-Chloe-o

Mama Doe
Got some bob martin spot on treatment for the cat, can't see any fleas on the bunnies, but will I need to do them too? Would the same stuff be ok to use on them? Xx

You will need to treat the bunnies (Advantage is generally the best product, but please don't use Xenex), and also all the environment as well.

No, my dogs have been gettting fleas on and off this year and a few of the cats have gotten fleas from the dogs but the rabbits haven't, even though they're in the same room and everything. Just treat them if you see fleas on them.

You should know Bob Martin treatments are as good as pouring water on your cat and hoping to get rid of fleas :wave: They will come back in no time if you don't use a proper spot on treatment. Frontline is one of the good ones.

You should know Bob Martin treatments are as good as pouring water on your cat and hoping to get rid of fleas :wave: They will come back in no time if you don't use a proper spot on treatment. Frontline is one of the good ones.

You are absolutely right. I use Frontline every 4-6 weeks - mine have just had a real treat: Frontlined on Monday and visit to the vet yesterday for booster vaccs and worming.

What is wrong with Xenex?

If you stick Xenex into the search function you will find a lot of threads about it.

Essentially, the active ingredient (permethrin) seems to cause a lot of bad reactions in rabbits. I lost one of mine the next day, after using it, many people report, burns and suchlike on their bunnies.

I agree that the bob martin's spot on won't work. Either Frontline or Fiproline will work well. They sell them in pets at home. The Fiproline is cheaper but you only get 2 doses :wave:

I would advise using ADVANTAGE for the cat and also for the rabbit if you find any fleas on them, as this is safe for rabbits as well.

Treat your cat appropriately and the environment but I would only treat your rabbits if they have them. I personally wouldn't use insecticide unless it is needed. Do be careful with insecticides in the environment around the buns too. It is important you use them to get rid of the flea eggs that are laid in cracks/crevices etc but be careful around the bunnies.

ETA ONLY use Advantage on your rabbits if they need treatment. :wave:

Ok thanks all. I will buy some advantage, i treated the cat with the bob martin stuff last night so I guess I might need to wait a couple of days? The bunnies show no signs of fleas, I gave them a good check over but I will keep checking and have the advantage there just in case. I am assuming the advantage stuff is applied on the back of the neck? What happens if one bun licks the others neck after applications??

I would be VERY careful about using insecticide treatments on any animal - I only use when necessary, treat the house & bed areas twice a year and vacuum regularly. Although some of my cats are prone to fleas, the rabbits have never had any. I would not treat for fleas unless I saw them on the animal during the weekly grooming session. ALWAYS make sure that the stuff you use is OK for that species, and that you read the instructions so you don't overdose. It's nasty stuff. My vet nurses always have scare stories of very sick pets who were given the wrong anti-flea treatment and spent days in intensive care.

VetUK online is always good on price, has good information and ships in a couple of days. Worth a look just to see what is suitable for each species.

I use Frontline Spot On for cats - lasts at least a month, but I only treat when needed. Kills fleas in a day, in my experience.

For the house, I use the yellow Staykill Household flea spray. Must be used when there are no animals / people are around as it should not be breathed in. Best used round the carpet edges and under big bits of furniture. Vacuuming should get rid of eggs and larvae in the easier to reach bits of floor. Gives long term protection. I think it recommends to use once a year, so a can lasts for years.

I have never had to de-flea rabbits, guinea pigs or smaller rodents, so I can't recommend anything. Sorry.

If you are treating several animals who may groom each other, could you put them in separate carriers / boxes / runs for an hour or two until the treatment has dried?

The other thing you could try is an electronic (battery) nit (head lice) comb for children. I got one from Boots. If the animals are used to being groomed, it is quite easy to use and instantly zaps fleas dead. Groom with their usual comb, etc first to make it easier as the nit comb is very narrow between the prongs. Just use as often as needed as it won't kill eggs so you will get new hatchlings over several days / weeks. There are no side effects as there are no chemicals. It's quite satisfying to get a bleep when you catch one.

Back