• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vet cut the blood capillary

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Had the vet over today for a full mot and myxo jabs and he cut one of Jimbys nails too short and it bled :cry:
It took quite some time for it to stop bleeding and there was blood splatterd on the wall :cry:
Will Jimby be ok, do I need to do anything?

It happens quite a lot when people clip claws especially dark ones, don't worry your bun will be fine :)

What an awful thing to happen, you probably got the vet to cut them because you were scared you would do the same thing.

Bun will be fine unfortuantely Ive cut my Rex's claws too short a couple of times :oops::( & while the amount of blood is scarey my bun has been ok Did the vet put anything on the bleeding claw like stipic powder & has the bleeding stopped?

Dont worry hun he'll be fine. I did it to Timmy once, i was beside myself, but once it had stopped bleeding it was totally fine :)

Yes, I havent attempted cutting Jimbys claws because some of them are quite thick and dark and I worried I would cut them too short, we have only managed to cut Cookies once when we first got her but because they are both so wriggly we thought it best to leave it to the proffesionals.
It has stopped bleeding as far as I can see, he is not leavign a trail of blood or anything and seems ok in himself.
I am jsut off to give them dinner now, so will have another peek.
Nope the vet did not put anything on it, he asked the nurse if she brought something (can not remember the name) but she hadnt so he just applied pressure and used a wet cotton wool to hold on it.

I dont advertise it, but i've cut Biscuits nails twice now. On both occasions i've cut the quick on his nails as he has VERY dark nails, even holding him close to a window close to the light doesn't help.

They always appear to bleed quite heavily, and i use a little kitchen roll with warm water and its always fine. He grooms himself in the area a lot once put down, so i can but assume, in a similar way to other animals their own saliva can help with things like that?

Back