• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is there ever an appropriate time to split a successful bonded pair?

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Like, if it's best for the bunny in a different way? And if there is no other feasible option?

Mine often have short breaks from each other (very short), personally I like to get them used to having time apart so it's not going to be incredibly stressful if they do have to split (Illness, fights, death etc.), but I know mine and their bond well, I wouldn't try it with a pair that had a bit of a dodgey bond and would probably fall out if ones had the hutch to itself for a while though

But I'd never permenantly split a bonded pair unless they were a danger to each other

When Flynn was very poorly with paralysis i made the decison to take him away from his friend Taffy. This was because Taffy was upsetting him, not bullying him, but he wanted to run and play with her, and he couldnt, it frustrated him and put him at risk in my opinion. They were never "in love" they were just "hutch mates". Had they been incredibly in love, it may have changed my decision, but the bond was more of a toleration than a bond.

If being bonded affects a rabbits mental or physical health, i believe it is ok to split them.

Thanks for your thoughts Rachael. I tried to PM you back, but you're full, so this is my reply (sort of- removed the specifics)

Thank you :)

It would only be a last resort. You're right about extra cuddles. :)

Thank you so much.

I'm sure your bunny and his nail will be fine :) One of mine has a dodgy nail from before he came to me and I often cut into the quick (feel guilty EVERY time). He's always fine :) Just needs treats and bribes by way of apology. x

If it is you saying there is no ther feasible option, I can't imagine there is. If it means that long term the rabbits involved will be better off then causing them some stress is probably justified in the meantime.

You may remember I had to split Timmy and Mimi when she had head tilt. I reeeeally didnt want to, but she was rolling so violently that I felt it was a danger to him as he's such a tiny rabbit. Also he didnt understand why she was doing it, and at times would grunt at her as he thought she was attacking him :cry:

I didnt seperate totally though, just had her safely confined in a padded cage, so they could see eachother but not get to eachother. I also let him in to see her for short periods a few times a day and he would groom the living day lights out of her and she eould visibly brighten.

They missed eachother so much, it was heartbreaking, he'd sit outside her cage waiting for her :cry: But luckily their bond is so strong that it lasted the distance and they went back together very happily as she started to recover :love:

Im not sure what your situation is Sky, or whether this helps. I guess what Im saying is that yes, there are definatly situations where its appropriate to split a bonded pair.

I think it really depends on the circumstances.

Looking at my two pairs, i would say no, not unless it was a really good reason. Both my pairs are very close. Sometimes we have pairs come in to rescue that are close, but no where near as close as my kids, if that makes sense.

I hope you are ok x

Back