• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buying hay in staffs? How long does a bale last??

megansmummy

Mama Doe
Looking for a hay supplier locally? does anyone live round here that knows of any? (im in Uttoxeter) Thanks!

Last edited:
:wave: Thanks...is that in sandbach?

Anyone else know of anywhere? i think im going to call round the local stables this week and see if I can find anyone willing to sell a bale at the time to me :)

Fords of Blythe Bridge sell bales of hay. Thats not too far away. Altough I haven't bought from there for while (we get it free from somewhere now instead).

Iv found somewhere in stafford that makes their own hay and sells it at £6 per bale...how long roughly do you think a bale would last 2 buns (mine eat hay constantly pretty much and a bag from wilko lasted us just short of a week). Any idea?

Iv found somewhere in stafford that makes their own hay and sells it at £6 per bale...how long roughly do you think a bale would last 2 buns (mine eat hay constantly pretty much and a bag from wilko lasted us just short of a week). Any idea?

For my six guineas and four rabbits I tend to use 1/2 a large bale a week.

I get my bales from Wheelock, and between 2 buns and 2 pigs, it lasts a few months! And they all have loads! £5.99 there.

ooh ok so a bale would probably last my two quite a while! Whats the best way to store it so that it stays fresh? At £6 per bale im thinking i could use that as a staple and then add some 'posh' hays for treats :) They both adore their hay :thumb:

ooh ok so a bale would probably last my two quite a while! Whats the best way to store it so that it stays fresh? At £6 per bale im thinking i could use that as a staple and then add some 'posh' hays for treats :) They both adore their hay :thumb:

I stored my first bale in the spare bedroom, but it got very messy! So now the new one is in a single duvet cover in the shed

Thats great thank you! Hubby will be pleased when he realises just HOW MUCH of the shed is now taken up with hay and megazorb! :lol:

:wave:If you can get hold of a wheel y bin they will just take a large bail of hay
and keep it safe from mice etc
I got mine vie a friendly local bin man
they had switched to a different design
or you could try ebay
my 8 rabbits get through a bail in about 6 to 8 weeks
depends on the size I find they vary a bit.

Thanks all, I just found Wynnstay's in Uttoxeter that sell a bale for £4.38! :) I will pop down and get one as its just down the road...not sure how big it is...he said small bale suaitable for rabbits etc so will see! :)

You can go direct to the Dust Free Hay Company and save on internet prices on having it delivered. Just give Norman a ring and ask him if you pop round and he will be more than happy to oblige.

You can go direct to the Dust Free Hay Company and save on internet prices on having it delivered. Just give Norman a ring and ask him if you pop round and he will be more than happy to oblige.

Ohh i didnt realise they were local to me! Doverage is about 10 mins down the road!! :shock: Off to email them...

between my 2 Guineapigs and the 5 rabbits outdoors i get through 2 bales in 2 weeks.:D, how i wish my rabbits werent such hay monsters:lol::lol:

Back