• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I managed it! Thanks everyone who gave advice

weedug

Mama Doe
Honey's injection, that is! After last weeks utter disaster, I went back to the vet with her on Sunday. We saw a lovely nurse who went over everything and got me to do the injection there. There were no problems with the plunger, so she reckons it was probably because I hadn't been told to keep the medicine in the fridge.

Anyway, today I followed all the tips everyone from RU had given me, and there were no problems at all. I'm dead chuffed it went perfectly :).

Thanks to everyone who gave me the confidence to try again :thumb:

What were the meds?

(i'm going to make a stab at 'Depocillin')

:wave: That's the one, Graham! Vet didn't tell me to keep it in the fridge, and I didn't know as it's the first time I've used it. Think the medicine solidified in the syringe a bit, and blocked the needle.

I've given 1000's of injections to my diabetic daughter over the years, so have a bit of experience with injecting, just not injecting buns :lol:

:wave: That's the one, Graham! Vet didn't tell me to keep it in the fridge, and I didn't know as it's the first time I've used it. Think the medicine solidified in the syringe a bit, and blocked the needle.

I've given 1000's of injections to my diabetic daughter over the years, so have a bit of experience with injecting, just not injecting buns :lol:

We used that for Ginger for months, an injection every day or every other day depending on dose etc, and yes, if you keep it in the fridge it stays liquidy and solidifies *VERY* quickly, but a tip i was given was to put it in the syringe and leave it for a minute or two, as the coldness can make the bun jumpy and wriggly, so then it's easier to get in the scruff :)

We had the same problem and blew several syringes over Ginger's fur :( Had to clean it all up, a big messy worry!

Well done and good luck :)

I was given prefilled syringes, both of which were impossible to use, although I did manage to blow one all over poor Honey's fur :(. The poor soul was terrified today when I got her ready :(.

The good news is that, SO FAR, her snot seems to have cleared, and there hasn't been any sneezing either :D

Back