• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

drinking own wee?

lilgems91

Mama Doe
I hope someone can shine some light onto this for me. Twice now benji has had a wee by the litter tray and started licking it for a while.

This has never happened before, and I'm worried in case something is wrong or it is dangerous for them.

Thanks in advance :)

It's not dangerous for them, but it is known that a poorly rabbit will drink its own urine.

May be worth checking with a rabbit savvy vet :)

:wave:

Is Benji the bun with pasturella? Is this under control?

:thumb:

Sorry, wasn't aware we were talking about a bun with a pre-existing condition :oops:

If he's feeling crappy, yes, quite plausible. Ginger's done it in the past when feeling *really* bad.

:thumb:

Sorry, wasn't aware we were talking about a bun with a pre-existing condition :oops:

If he's feeling crappy, yes, quite plausible. Ginger's done it in the past when feeling *really* bad.

I only know because I'd seen Gem post this elsewhere :wave:

As well as being a health thing (which is very possible given they have gone through the stress of bonding) it can also be a learned behaviour in a rabbit who has been neglected and without water and had to drink urine to survive.

As well as being a health thing (which is very possible given they have gone through the stress of bonding) it can also be a learned behaviour in a rabbit who has been neglected and without water and had to drink urine to survive.

:'( i never knew that bit! how sad :(

[SUB][/SUB]

:shock::(:(

That's so sad :( Poppy has the vets on Friday so she might have been doing it because her teeth might be hurting again :(

That's so sad :( Poppy has the vets on Friday so she might have been doing it because her teeth might be hurting again :(

Try giving her warm water instead (boil a kettle and then mix that water with water from the cold tap until it is luke warm) and seeing if that stops her drinking her wee. You'll obviously need to replace it regularly, I just know when my teeth were really hurting, cold water made it hurt more and when you see a rabbit drinking wee it is often because it is warmer and they need that temperature for some reason.

Parsley sometimes does it - I guess maybe because he has an existing condition as well - though tbh we always put it down to being something very male and hormonal (he is still plus plums)

Thank you for all your replies..

Yes its my snuffle bun benji.

He is on medication at the moment, my vet prescribed him septrin and bisolvon for when the bonding started, as its a stressful time for him and he will likely get snotty.

Hopefully the medication kicks in quickly. He hasnt done it since, it eas both times yesterday.

If it carries on I will book him into the vets. If this happens, what should I do r.e the bonding? They are both sitting here in the pen next to me good as gold. No fighting, humping or anything for days, and both buns seem happy.

If I took ben to the vets would I have to take cupcake?

When he has his medication in a morning and at night I get cupcake out aswell with him, and put them both back i together :)

I reckon it would be more stressful to split them now, so in this respect, consider them 'bonded' and take them together, keep them together, etc.

From an outsiders point of view (i.e. just hearing what you're saying, not seeing with my own eyes), it is all sounding good and like it's heading in the right direction :) The bonding process itself is exceptionally long; You're only doing the acute phase, and you're essentially only doing it until they can be trusted together, after that, it will change and develop over time.

I see, so its a long process? :)

What steps do you think I should take next? They have had toys and food bowls put in, and have accustomed to the litter tray nicely.

But I dont know where to go with it next :?

Have you expanded the space yet? If not, that would be your next task.

(also, I'd suggest giving them luke warm water, like I suggested with Poppy earlier in the thread, and also making sure it is a bowl and not a bottle and both feel comfortable drinking from it).

Unfortunately they wont drink from bowls, only their sippys. Have tried a few times but they dont want to know :?

Noo havent expanded the space yet, how much do you think I should expand it? And how many times will it need to be expanded?

it will need too be expanded until it is the size of the accommodation they are going in. I'd add half of what they currently have on again, if that makes sense.

I would suggest providing a bowl with luke warm water in. :)

Back