• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Clipping nails

Never had to yet - they've been with us 6 months (SIX MONTHS? that's flown by!!). Ask the vet everytime I go in if they need doing.

I just want to play with the little nail clippers haha - bought them when we got the girls and never got to use them yet :lol:

How do you trip the 'due or eye' (spelling?) claw. I'm just wondering if there is an easier way as I have to get me and buns in all sorts of positions for this which doesnt impress them at all :wave:

How do you trip the 'due or eye' (spelling?) claw. I'm just wondering if there is an easier way as I have to get me and buns in all sorts of positions for this which doesnt impress them at all :wave:

If you press up under the paw with your thumb it flexes the foot into position as if it was in contact with the floor and makes the dew claw easier to get to without any odd angles.

P.S: Should have said, I clip my buns right way up on my knee wrapped in a towel and pressed against my stomach with non-clipping arm, this one holds the bun steady and manoeuvres the foot out to the other hand with the clippers, so I would splay the foot with my left thumb to allow me to trim with the right hand.

Last edited:
About every 4-6 weeks when I can hear their nails tapping on the floor when they walk.

I hate doing it, Timmy and Mimi are angels but Timmy has brown nails and Im always scared Im going to cut too far (I made him bleed once :() And Max and Charlotte are an absolute nightmare and will fight it all the way. I have to take them into the car and turn the engine on :roll:

I've done Ruby's for the first time, they were the razor sharp baby ones so I just nipped the tips off. Radley is a bit of a poof when it comes to nail clipping. I wrap him in a towel and cover his eyes and put him under my arm and wedge him between my bump. Last time he escaped before he was finished and his dueclaw was quite long, I think it was bothering him cos he was biting at it. He sulked for a while, but now he's my best friend again.

i get the vet to do them every 6 months at jab time. they also have a part concrete run which i think helps keep them down.

Just did all 4 of mine. Hate it but it has to be done, they get so scared :( Charlotre McGee is the worst, shes an absolute nightmare! :shock:

Feel good now theyre all done though :)

I've done ours about 3 times in the 2ish years we've had them. I think the felt roof on the hutch (which they often jump up on to) helps keep them down. I've recently covered it up with blankets though so we'll see if it makes any difference.

Back