• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

myxi jab advice needed

Lolly's mum

Mama Doe
hi all,

my two buns arrived with me in august of this year and were overdue their myxi jabs. i know they need their boosters and i am taking them for their first visit to the new vets next week as they both also need a "pawdicure".

my questions are...

is myxi more rife during spring and summer and if so would it be prudent to wait until early spring for their boosters?

they have never had a jab for vhd and the same question applys.

they are both house buns and always have been, always will be (if that makes a difference)

advice appreciated

em

Myxomatosis is rife at the moment and House Rabbits are just as much at risk as outdoor Rabbits.

The Myxomatosis vaccine should be given every 6 months. Whilst Myxi does peak at the end of the Summer it is now a year round problem really. The vaccine only gives some protection for 6-10 months, hence the need for 6 monthly boosters.

The VHD Vaccine is only given once a year. There are 3 makes of VHD Vaccine available. I would recommend either LAPINJECT or ANIVAC. I would avoid CYLAP like the plague as it is well known for causing some nasty side effects.

Myxomatosis is rife at the moment and House Rabbits are just as much at risk as outdoor Rabbits.

The Myxomatosis vaccine should be given every 6 months. Whilst Myxi does peak at the end of the Summer it is now a year round problem really. The vaccine only gives some protection for 6-10 months, hence the need for 6 monthly boosters.

The VHD Vaccine is only given once a year. There are 3 makes of VHD Vaccine available. I would recommend either LAPINJECT or ANIVAC. I would avoid CYLAP like the plague as it is well known for causing some nasty side effects.

thanks!! the little darlings will get jabbed next week!!

em

Make sure your vet does not do both the Myxo and VHD jab at the same time, they should be done seperatly with a gap of at least 2 weeks between them.

Back