• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies wont go downstairs in new hutch

lupine lacuna

Warren Scout
So I have recently bought a Happy Hutch to replace the cheap temporary one that I bought from pets at home. However, the walkway going downstairs is quite steep and it is tricky for the bun to get on it, as the design is such that you access it sort of from the side, since the end of it runs into the side of the cage, if that makes sense. What can I do? I am a bit disapointed with the design to be honest.

Last edited:
I take it that it's a 2 tier one then? Have you got a pic so we can see it?

Are you talking about the ramp when you say 'walkway'?? I know some people have taken the ramps away and put a step there so they can hop up rather than walk up it.

I hope they get used to it!! :)

So I have recently bought a Happy Hutch to replace the cheap temporary one that I bought from pets at home. However, the walkway going downstairs is quite steep and it is tricky for the bun to get on it, as the design is such that you access it sort of from the side, since the end of it runs into the side of the cage, if that makes sense. What can I do? I am a bit disapointed with the design to be honest.

If i could see a photo of the problem i may be able to offer some advice.

When my buns would not use their ramp I tacked some pieces of old towel onto the ramp so they could get a grip. This gave them confidence to use it. Good luck!

How long have they been in it?

Daisy and Poppy have a two level hutch and they didnt use the ramp or the bottom half of their hutch untill this morning (today is our second full day home with them as we picked them up sunday morning). They had a tiny one level wire cage before coming to live with us so I thought it might just take them some time but this morning when I went out to give them breakfast they were downstairs and have been going crazy hopping up and down since they figured it out!

Hi everyone, sorry I have taken so long to respond, the internet is not yet set up in my house, but I can catch a very unreliable neighbours connection for about 2 minutes a day early in the morning!

She is sort of using it now, I helped her up recently, she is a lop, not the most athletic lady and always a bit nervous, so its so satisfying to see her do this now! I still think I am going to add some carpet though, to make it easier. Thanks everyone xxx

Back