• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny not eating and losing weight

Domino19

New Kit
I have a female Netherland dwarf bunny who is 2yrs old. Recently I noticed that she has lost weight and is not eating well at all. I took her to the vet and they looked in her mouth at her back teeth. They said her teeth looked ok but she's still not eating and seems to have lst even more weight over the weekend. The did give me three days of worming liquid to give her. I am very worried about her. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would suggest you take her back to the Vet

I notice you are in Bermuda. I dont know how Rabbit Savvy Vets there are.

Sometimes it is not possible to detect Dental problems in a conscious Rabbit and to obtain a full oral examination a GA may be needed. Obviously it is essential that your Rabbit does not deteriorate further should a GA be required.

Is your Rabbit's fecal output now minimal ?

Is she drinking ?

Is she spayed ?

Apart from looking in her mouth what else did the Vet do during the examination ?

Were you advised to syringe feed her ?

I really would not delay taking her back to the Vet, preferably one experienced in treating Rabbits.

I am going to call the vet and see if the vet that saw her is rabbit savy. As far as I know she has just graduated from vet school so I'm thinking she may not have enough experience.

Hazel ate some romaine lettuce this morning but she is eating very slowly. She is not spayed. I have not seen her drinking. I was going to seperate her from her cage mate (neutered male) but I read that you shouldn't separate them as this stresses them out too much and can make them worse. I was not advised to syringe feed her. Apart from checking her mouth she didn't do anything else. She said it's hard to see the back teeth in these little rabbits but she thought they looked alright. (Didn't make me feel reassured) I have read about something called critical care. Do you know anything about this and would it help.

I am going to call the vet and see if the vet that saw her is rabbit savy. As far as I know she has just graduated from vet school so I'm thinking she may not have enough experience.

Hazel ate some romaine lettuce this morning but she is eating very slowly. She is not spayed. I have not seen her drinking. I was going to seperate her from her cage mate (neutered male) but I read that you shouldn't separate them as this stresses them out too much and can make them worse. I was not advised to syringe feed her. Apart from checking her mouth she didn't do anything else. She said it's hard to see the back teeth in these little rabbits but she thought they looked alright. (Didn't make me feel reassured) I have read about something called critical care. Do you know anything about this and would it help.

I think first of all establishing the cause of her anorexia and weightloss is the most important thing.

All you describe does sound to be very much like a Dental related problem. Also, Nethies are a breed prone to Dental problems due to the shape of their skull.

Critical Care is a powder feed that you make up with water. You can make a feed to give via syringe by pouring boiling water onto the usual pelleted feed, mush it into a slurry, add more water til it is of a syringable consistency then allow it to cool.

But as I say, the most important thing is to identify the primary problem and treat it. So I would try to get her to a Rabbit savvy Vet ASAP.

Hi,

One of my previous bunnies went off his food and started losing weight. Turned out he had a hair ball. Unlike cats, bunnies cant cough them up so they need to have them dissolved. you should def go back to the vets for further investigation.

Hope shes feeling better soon x

Ok so I have a vet appt this morning for the bunny. Of course the three most experienced vets are unavailable today. 1 is away on vacation, one has the day off and the other is doing the surgeries. I explained that I did not want the vet from last time as she was not experienced enough and asked for someone who was experienced with rabbits. The receptionist told me that they all had experience. So I am basically going to a heart surgeon for brain surgery. Im sure they have experience its just not their speciality. So I will go with my list of questions to ask and what they should be looking for and we shall see how it goes. I will let you know what they say. Thanks for the posts people.

Back