• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

picture of new setup

Trines

Young Bun
We have been building a chicken run and at the same time decided to get another chicken shed the same and modify it for our rabbits (one is no 9 years old and rarely comes out the hutch, even though she has permanent access to a run, so want to give her a comfortable and sheltered home with more room to move about in for winter) the shed is 5ft x 4ft and their run is 14ft x 10ft x 3ft high. there is no roof on the run as we live on an island with no foxes. we are still in the process of doing the shed. going to line it with ply, put lino down and put some shelves in for them. I will post some photos of the inside when it is done, but for now here is the outside. you can also see the chicken shed and part of the chicken run.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69010676@N03/6277012710/

Hiya and welcome! :wave:

Looks great, but do the chickens live with the rabbits? It looks great if it is just for the rabbits, chickens aren't the best companions for rabbits.

I also used to live on an island with no foxes, it was brilliant, but there is still birds of prey to be aware of. :wave:

We live in Orkney and the garden has a lot of trees so we don't tend to get large birds of prey near us, but it is a consideration. The chickens are in a completely different run but the access for cleaning the coop is through the rabbit run but the chickens will access their run through the pop hole, so will never be in the rabbit run :). our two rabbits seem to love it, just can't wait till I get the shed modified and they can move in for good, they are in a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch which is in their run just now but I will take it out when the shed is done.

We live in Orkney and the garden has a lot of trees so we don't tend to get large birds of prey near us, but it is a consideration. The chickens are in a completely different run but the access for cleaning the coop is through the rabbit run but the chickens will access their run through the pop hole, so will never be in the rabbit run :). our two rabbits seem to love it, just can't wait till I get the shed modified and they can move in for good, they are in a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch which is in their run just now but I will take it out when the shed is done.

Orkney is lovely, I am just a bit further south, in Kinlochbervie in Sutherland :) I was on North Uist for most of my life. One thing I should mention though, there are always idiots who will bring animals over, just because Orkney doesn't have any foxes now, doesn't mean it will never. There may even be some already.

If it is possible, I would put a top on the run :wave:

I love Sutherland :D I have driven through it many times but never been to Kinlochbervie, not exactly sure whereabouts in sutherland it is :oops: there are defo no foxes here just now but totally know what you mean about people introducing animals as there is someone on the island who is releasing stoats :censored: luckily nowhere near our part yet, but so frustrating as the wildlife we have here is not adapted to dealing with these predators. part of our unique ecosystem is because of the lack of terrestrial predators, it's annoying that people can't leave nature alone, anyway rant over! how many rabbits do you have? are you in a really rural location?

I love your set up. Where did you get the sheds? Are the rabbits okay in the winter? Theres me worrying about mine being outside and I live in Cornwall :roll: Or maybe I dont want to go out in the cold and rain!! :lol:

Hi Christy Rose
The sheds were bought from a company called the chicken den online. they were really helpful and I love the sheds, the only thing I would say is that the floor will not take the weight of a person so it needs to be put on top of a pallet or something. they are designed for chickens but the perches are removable, it has a convenient pop hole for them to get out and I am leaving the nest boxes in (thought they are removable too) and shelving on top of it and round the back of the shed as that will give little cubby holes. the height of the shelves will mean they can relax and look out the window at the same time. My rabbits love being able to see and never sleep inside their enclosed part of the hutch, which is a nightmare in winter. they are generally ok in the winter, though I did bring them into the garage last winter for a while, although it wasn't ideal for them as their inside cage wasn't that big. that's why I wanted them to have a shed this year, room to move around, access to their run and very sheltered :D. Especially Katriona as she is 9 this year and definitely showing signs of getting old :(

That looks great! Lots of room!

You may want to put up some defenses against cats though, as not all, but some will try to play with rabbits, and even one tiny scratch can be lethal because of the bacteria they carry.

I love Sutherland :D I have driven through it many times but never been to Kinlochbervie, not exactly sure whereabouts in sutherland it is :oops: there are defo no foxes here just now but totally know what you mean about people introducing animals as there is someone on the island who is releasing stoats :censored: luckily nowhere near our part yet, but so frustrating as the wildlife we have here is not adapted to dealing with these predators. part of our unique ecosystem is because of the lack of terrestrial predators, it's annoying that people can't leave nature alone, anyway rant over! how many rabbits do you have? are you in a really rural location?

I've got a trio of buns, two lops and a Netherland Dwarf. It's not really rural, its a village, and although I have never seen any foxes etc, I don't doubt they could be around!

Over in the Hebrides people introduced hedgehogs, and now people have spent millions trying to get them off the island. People can be so stupid sometimes :roll:

many thanks for all your replies, we are really pleased with it, as are our buns :D Regarding cats; we have two black labs who do a very good job keeping the garden clear. when we first moved up our garden was a highway for them, now there is only one cat who will brave it and it sticks right to the side of the garden. for the last year the run did have netting over it, but this broke off and flower used to sit on top of the hutch and eat the bushes that were haning over it, she never jumped out of the run for the whole year while it was like this and they were never troubled by cats, that's why we decided to leave the run open. I am at home with my children all day every day and can see the run so am around if anything does happen.

It looks fab. Personally I'd still put a roof on as some bunnies, amazingly, can climb up wire fences. I've even seen Mini try to climb up the wall. :shock:

Back