• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Zantac & Critical Care advice needed..

glitzy-paws

Warren Scout
:wave: Hi all,

My little girl has very early symptoms of GI stasis so vet has prescribed Zantac and Critical Care both needing to be syringe fed. The vet didn't say whether I should give these one after the other or whether I should leave it a while after the Zantac to then feed the Critical Care. What do you recommend? Does it matter what gets fed first and should there be a space between the two?xx

I would give the Zantac first and wait about an hour before giving the CC

Has your Rabbit received any pain relief ?

On Saturday the vet gave her an antibiotic injection and another injection to stimulate the gut so I'm not sure that he did give any pain relief. What kind of thing should he have done for pain relief? He checked her teeth and they are fine, he said her digestion sounds a little slow but I caught it early so she should be OK. I've been giving her Zantac twice a day but didn't give any Critical care as she was starting to eat but now I think that I should give her some as it may aid her recovery. She is nibbling on hay and munching her veg down so I'm hoping she's on the mend. Last night she was binkying around so that's a good sign. I'm just so worried about her - I just want to do the right thing.

If she is eating for herself personally I would hold fire on the CC for now.

Just as important as food going in is it is also important to note output. What are her poos like ?

Re pain relief, Metacam is a non steroidal anti inflammatory which is usually prescribed. In cases of more severe pain other types of analgesia may also be needed.

Nope - definitely no pain relief given, maybe the vet didn't think it was severe enough. On Friday night she wasn't able too poo and you could see she was trying. After the vet gave her the gut stimulant there was poo in the litter tray- it was still hardish but had a slimy film over it. Have seen really tiny poos in cage and also pooh attached by stringy looking thing (i'm assuming is fur) - there hasn't been many of these though. As I have 2 rabbits it's sometimes hard to know which one it belongs to but my boy is eating fine so I'm sure they are not his.

I'll leave the CC for tonight and monitor her food intake just to double check she is eating. I've removed all newspaper as she liked to nibbled on this and just giving her veg and hay with a few pellets.

I was just worried that I was doing more bad than good by giving her Zantac and not the CC too.

Thank you for helping me.x

Nope - definitely no pain relief given, maybe the vet didn't think it was severe enough. On Friday night she wasn't able too poo and you could see she was trying. After the vet gave her the gut stimulant there was poo in the litter tray- it was still hardish but had a slimy film over it. Have seen really tiny poos in cage and also pooh attached by stringy looking thing (i'm assuming is fur) - there hasn't been many of these though. As I have 2 rabbits it's sometimes hard to know which one it belongs to but my boy is eating fine so I'm sure they are not his.

I'll leave the CC for tonight and monitor her food intake just to double check she is eating. I've removed all newspaper as she liked to nibbled on this and just giving her veg and hay with a few pellets.

I was just worried that I was doing more bad than good by giving her Zantac and not the CC too.

Thank you for helping me.x

Try to keep her fluid intake up too. Offer her water in a bowl as Rabbits often drink more from a bowl than from a bottle. Also, leave the Veg wet from rinsing when you feed it to her.

Hopefully she is on the mend now :)

Back