• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice re aggresive bun after myxi vacc

Zahirre

Warren Veteran
I'm really, really upset and I know RU will understand.

Dexie, my first bun has just bitten my hand :cry: He's not bitten or nipped since just before his neuter over a year ago. He's my most cuddle bun and is never, ever aggressive. He's always the first to bounce over when I go to the shed to say hello and he's the only bun who actually likes being picked up for snuggles.

I've just been out to shed about half an hour ago to feed the buns and change their water. Thought I'd sit in with them and give out some nose rubs for a while.

Noticed something was 'off' with Dexie as he didn't bounce over for cuddles and just sat, looking at me with squinted eyes. He didn't look happy, in fact, he looked really cross. (sounds silly, but I know he looked really angry) As I went to stroke him, he jumped forward, I thought it was for cuddles, so I went to pick him up. As soon as my hands touched him, he lunged at me and bit me on the palm of my hand. He then sat back down.

He then jumped into the hay box and munched some little bits of hay, so I put out their pellets to see if he was eating ok. He was the first to the box and munched away at the pellets.

I'm really upset :cry:

Is it maybe because he had his myxi vacc the other day? Could he just be feeling a bit eurgh and not want noserubs etc? Pumpkin is her usual nervous self so no change there and she had her vacc at the same time.

No changes in any one else as they are booked in this week and next week (couldn't manage all 7 together)

The only other change is that they were indoors for a few days as we finished the shed floor, they only went out last night.

Any ideas?

It could be a combination of things. His immune system will be responding to the Myxi Vac so he may be feeling a bit under par. He may be somewhat disorientated by the recent move from indoors to out and finally your hand may have smelled 'wrong' and as it was right infront of his face he would be reacting almost 100% on smell. A Rabbit has relatively poor near vision. So it was just a misident on his part. I am sure he was not being 'nasty' :)

It could be a combination of things. His immune system will be responding to the Myxi Vac so he may be feeling a bit under par. He may be somewhat disorientated by the recent move from indoors to out and finally your hand may have smelled 'wrong' and as it was right infront of his face he would be reacting almost 100% on smell. A Rabbit has relatively poor near vision. So it was just a misident on his part. I am sure he was not being 'nasty' :)

I'm hoping that it is because he's feeling a bit under the weather from the vaccine but I'm going to keep an extra vigilant eye on him because I am worried.

He just seems 'off' all round and the nipping wasn't like him at all. Usually he's fine with change as well but, we'll see.

I'll keep an eye on him and see how things go.

Thanks Jane!!!!

Back