• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Concerned over vets.

casu consulto

Mama Doe
My vets, that is!

My local vets are a ten minute walk away and so I've always taken my rabbits there for their vaccines. They're not the best vets - recently especially you'd be lucky to see the same vet two days in a row, as they seem to have a lot of different vets who do the odd day there. This year two of my rabbits became ill and I initially went there with the first one only to be told by the vet on duty that day that she had no idea what to attempt with him and recommended I take him to a more rabbit-savvy practice on the other side of my city. The journey there and back cost me £30, which is why using the other vets all the time would be difficult for me to do. However! My six rabbits have all been due their myxi vaccine and I took the first two on Wednesday last week... The vet who saw them that day gave them their vaccine and did not health check them properly. She tried to look at their front teeth, but did not even suggest looking at their back teeth. The vet on Thursday for another pair was worse... Not only did he not do a proper health check (he listened to their hearts/lungs, that was it) but when I asked if the myxi vaccine was the one that goes 10% in the skin he smiled at me as if I was the idiot, said no it's the Cylap one that is given that way and nobody really believes the 10% goes in the skin or makes any difference really anyway...

So. No health checks. He didn't give my two rabbits on Thursday the vaccine properly. He would give the VHD vaccine incorrectly... We're due to take the last two in today for their myxi vaccine and I want to phone beforehand and check it isn't him on duty today, in the evening. That's reasonable, isn't it? :? I don't intend to be rude about it, but I WILL tell them why I'd want to rearrange for another vet to do the vaccines if asked...

Yes that's reasonable just like i always ring up and specify i won't see a particular doctor cos i wasn't impressed with him you should be able to do the same with a vets you're paying for them

Ruthie xxx

My vet, who is as rabbit savvy as they come, is of the opinion that the 10% under the skin is a very important part of the vaccine, I'd be really concerned if they hadn't had it. In fact I had a huge worry about Esme not having it done properly by a local vet a couple of years ago. I know if Cylap gets spilled on the skin it can cause a very nasty reaction so I'm guessing it would be very, very serious to give Cylap in the way the vet described. :shock:

I'd definitely make sure you get a vet you have more confidence in. I got into the habit of doing so at my local practice before moving on, I think it's quite a reasonable thing to do and they shouldn't object to it.

I ask which vet is on, mine is a large practice and just one of them although a good vet has an appalling bedside manner, we saw her on Saturday only cos we had an emergency. I know you say its a long way to the 'good' vet but maybe its a case of you get what you pay for. I found a cheaper vet for boosters but he only jabed them, I will be paying the extra this time to get an MOT at the same time at my own vet. Maybe if you take them all together they will offer you a discount or give you an account so you can maybe pay in installments? Good luck.

Back