• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Simba been to A & E again

Fayelou

Alpha Buck
Simba had started sneezing very frequently again and sounded like he was coughing / gagging. Was happy in himself yesterday, but his eyes were red and he seemed to be yawning alot, as if he was trying to breathe through his mouth and the sneezing noises he was making were HORRID.

So, off to the vets. Last time he had metacam 0.1ml for 5 days, but he wasn't producing snot from his nose before.

The vet confirmed he is a FEMALE and prescribed 0.5ml twice a day of baytril. Any tips for giving it to him?

General vibes for him too would be appreciated!

He is fine in himself, eating, drinking, pooing etc. Been a bit quiet since got back from vets but that's to be expected!

Has anyone else's bun had 0.5ml of baytril twice a day plus 0.1 of metacam? Seems alot for a little one :(

I haven't had a rabbit with those symptoms or that treatment before, so I wouldn't know if that is a lot, but if it is a difficult infection to clear, I'm sure the vet would give what he thinks is best (assuming he is a rabbit savvy vet!)

But I wanted to say that I hope he recovers quickly.

Thanks for the reply so much xxx

Simba isn't liking Baytril at all, had to wrap him in a towel to feed it him this morning (still keep calling her HIM, hehe) :love:but he loves the Metacam!

He is very active and seems happy...was sneezing this morning but his sneezing sounds better, if you know what I mean

Any further tips or advice so much apprecaited xx

Doesnt sound like a massive amount to be honest.

I've had my RTI bun on much higher doses of baytril before and she is on 0.6ml of metacam daily for RTI + other issues.

Baytril is often best given in something treaty, like say a tiny piece of banana, or a basil leaf :) Might help you to disguise it!

Thanks for that xx

I will try it in a banana. So is it ok to just squirt the Baytril on a bit of banana and get him to eat it? Will the medicine still be just as effective as syringing into the mouth?

Tried her on a bit of banana last night, she didn't eat it so I syringe fed again, must to her annoyance! I left a bit of banana out on the towel where she was hopping though and she munched it later on! Will try again tonight. Still sneezing and wet nose but sneezing doesn't sound "horrid" anymore and Simba is binkying away like crazy, so fingers crossed xx

Hi there

My buns (a mini lop - 2 kilo) has had 1ml of Baytril twice a day in the past and my vet said that you can add a little bit of neat Ribena to it to make it taste a little better! (I think Baytril is very bitter for buns, so no wonder they hate it!). I tried this and it wasn't such a struggle to syringe - I actually put a tiny bit of Ribena around the tip of the syringe, which bunny seemed to like! Hope your buns is soon back to good health. xxx

Oh thank you! I will try this and see what he thinks! Wish it tasted like Metacam, she actually jumps up at me and asks for more of that :lol:

Back