• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Shelf Life for Metacam & Bisolvon

lilgems91

Mama Doe
Hi, Just wondering if anyone can tell me how long a sachet of bisolvon can be used for once its open? My vet mentioned around 4 weeks, but I thought this may be a bit too long?

Same with the metacam please :)

Thanks

I don't know about Bisolvon, but I just discarded sachets because they weren't too big.

It's 6 months for an open bottoel of Metacam I believe (think it says that on the leaflet).

If it's only a little bottle of metacam, it only lasts 3 weeks once opened.

The big ones last longer, but the smallest bottle you get, it says on the bottle to discard it after 3 weeks

As long as the Bisolvon remains in the sachet and is seeled airtight then I'd say 4 weeks is OK

If the Metacam is dispensed in anything but the Manufacturers bottle then I would not use not after a couple of weeks. The efficacy of the active ingredient deteriorates on exposure to light. Within the manufactures bottle it has a shelf life of 6 months once opened.

As long as the Bisolvon remains in the sachet and is seeled airtight then I'd say 4 weeks is OK

If the Metacam is dispensed in anything but the Manufacturers bottle then I would not use not after a couple of weeks. The efficacy of the active ingredient deteriorates on exposure to light. Within the manufactures bottle it has a shelf life of 6 months once opened.

Ahh I see, ok. I only have a little bottle from the vets, they emptied it out of the manufacturers bottle into this little one.

But they didnt tell me to keep it somewhere dark ish, I didnt realise about the main ingredient/light situation.

My vet has told me it will be cheaper for me to get the metacam and bisolvon off vet uk, and they will give me a prescription. Do they use the dog or cat metacam for rabbits? And the container that its in from the manufacturer, does that have a shelf life once some has been taken out?

Sorry for all the questions guys :oops:

I've got to admit, I've used Bisolvon long after I opened the sachet. Mainly because I was only ever prescribed one sachet at a time for a chronic condition needing only a pinch once in a while. So I just used to put a clip over the sachet.

Ahh I see, ok. I only have a little bottle from the vets, they emptied it out of the manufacturers bottle into this little one.

But they didnt tell me to keep it somewhere dark ish, I didnt realise about the main ingredient/light situation.

My vet has told me it will be cheaper for me to get the metacam and bisolvon off vet uk, and they will give me a prescription. Do they use the dog or cat metacam for rabbits? And the container that its in from the manufacturer, does that have a shelf life once some has been taken out?

Sorry for all the questions guys :oops:

I buy the Dog Metacam and I buy the large bottle which has a shelf life of 6 months once opened.

I've got to admit, I've used Bisolvon long after I opened the sachet. Mainly because I was only ever prescribed one sachet at a time for a chronic condition needing only a pinch once in a while. So I just used to put a clip over the sachet.

Same here, its for my benji's snuffles and he only has once pinch at a time, as little as possible! However I gave him some metacam and bisolvon which had been open for about 4/5 weeks and it didnt seem to make any difference to his snuffles at all :(

Hmm... I never saw any lack of effectiveness from Bisolvon that had been open a while, with a clip over it.

Hmm... I never saw any lack of effectiveness from Bisolvon that had been open a while, with a clip over it.

It might just be that his snuffles is pretty bad :s It seemed to get rid of the snot, but kept sneezing, quite high pitched, if that makes sense?

Metacam - I had this conversation with a "new" vet at our practice only this week.

I only have the small one which says discard after 3 weeks and it is in a white plastic bottle i.e. the manufacturers bottle and was surprised when I read the leaflet. However previously when I had a larger bottle it said 6 months. The "new" vet said the small bottle should be OK for 6 months.:?

Back