• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it wrong that I want to adopt a 'lop' rabbit and not a straight ears one?

No, but I can see how a Rescue may feel that it is being a bit picky.

Rather like stating you want to adopt a child, but only one with blue eyes.

I agree

It's just that all my rabbits have been lops and having one that isn't a lop would feel weird

I'm just waiting for the perfect bun atm as soon as the rescue gets a female lop in I'd consider adopting her.

I dont believe so. I have adopted rabbits from rescues that are breed specific, Mojo the english lop, Willow the rex, Oose the giant, Riley the french x english lop.

I believe if i went to a pet shop or breeder it would be for a breed of my choice, i choose rescue every time, but then i believe if a breed that interests me comes in, it is not selfish to pick that rabbit. Of course in an ideal world i would be entirely selfless and pick a long term rescue bunny, but even if i choose a breed from a rescue, its still helping a rescue rabbit and not supporting the petshop and breeding trade, so i feel no guilt for having favourite breeds. Everyones idea of an "ideal" rabbit are different :)

This said, i also pick bunnies if they have health issues, im a sucker for a disabled bunny too.

And finally, you will find a rescue bun will pick you, not the other way. So you may find, your ideals go out the window when you see all the lovely buns needing new homes, they are all irresistable.

ETA i also have cross breed bunnies here, i do not always go breed specific especially when i am looking for partners for my rabbits, i believe a rabbit will pick its own rabbit friend regardless of what I want.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it per se, but when you go and meet the buns at a rescue try to keep an open mind. You never know who you'll fall in love with :)
x

When we adopt out a rabbit we work to meet the needs of the home and find the rabbit that best fits in that home. We do take into account visual preferences, but it's also very important that personality is considered. An example being if someone wants a lop, and we have a pair of lops and a pair of uppy eared rabbits, and the lops are very nervous and the uppy eared rabbits very confident and laid back, and the rabbits are wanted in a home to be around children, then it would not be in the best interests of the animals or the family to have the lops just because they look 'right' but would be better off having the uppy eared rabbits because the personality would fit better in the home. (longest sentence ever :lol:)

I think that having personal preferences is fine, but don't let them blind you to everything else involved in choosing a rabbit.

No, I don't see a problem with it.

I think it's right double standards that people moan when someone knows exactly what type of rabbit they want. It's ok to like a certain breed of dog, but not a certain type of rabbit - go figure

I don't think that is wrong. I like some breeds and not others, it's just down to personal choice:thumb:.

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting a particular type of rabbit from a rescue. We all have our preferences and I would personally always choose an uppy-eared bunny first.

Rescues are full of lop-eared rabbits looking for love. I think you can choose to adopt one and not feel guilty, really.

Great username! :thumb:

I think everyone has preferences in some ways. I prefer the uppy eared ones myself. As others have said though, you might fall in love with a totally different bun to that you'd expect to.

My local rescue hasn't got single lops for adoption :)

I don't know whether I should ask them if they've got a female lop on their waiting list .

My local rescue hasn't got single lops for adoption :)

I don't know whether I should ask them if they've got a female lop on their waiting list .

What area do you live in? I'm sure there would be another rescue nearby or perhaps even a rescue on RU who are willing to rehome nationally.

I dont think so no....when i was looking for a husbun for Roxy I specifically wanted a tri dutch bunny....I was very lucky :D

I don't think so
I do get annoyed when someone rings and says something along the lines of " my male rabbit is pining and we need a doe ASAP"
I then send them picks of 4 does and they come back with " have you any others as we don't like plain black ones, or rews and the other was a nethie which we don't want either " ..that sort of thing tends to make me count to 10:lol:

Last edited:
I don't think so
I do get annoyed when someone rigns and says something along the lines of " my male rabbit is pining and we need a doe ASAP"
I then send them picks of 4 does and they come back with " have you any others as we don't like plain black ones, or rews and the other was a nethie which we don't want either " ..that sort of thing tends to make me count to 10:lol:

I can imagine!! :roll:

Earist! :lol:

I don't see a problem with it as long as you're giving the rabbit a good home, after all you're helping out the rescue. I'll admit I like certain colours/breeds and although I might foster in the future I'm set on having a rhinelander and a tan hare, it's totally selfish but I wouldn't want to adopt a pair of rabbits and spend years wishing I had a different breed or whatever. I like big, bold and bright rabbits not the mini lops and nethies and lionheads everyone goes for

Back