• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another Bun?

Daniel

Alpha Buck
The wife wants another bun but the vet did recommend that we do not get Daisy a friend, so what would you do?

As to see the vet again and see the reason why?
Or just get one? (Rescue one, not pet shop)

He has something wrong with his eyes, they water a lot of the time but not always and it can clear on it owns at times.

Last edited:
What were the exact reasons for the vet recommending that Daisy does not have a friend? Is Daisy neutered/spayed?

yep need to knwo why vet said no friend.
If your bun has eye probs what did vet say they were and what treatment? were the teeth checked?

One of my girls has terrible teeth, the cause of bad breeding somewhere own the line but I don't really know where pops came from, my dad just came home with her. She had rummy eyes that would clear up but the vet gave us eye drops.. if I knew then what I know now I would have been very angry and asked for her teeth to be checked, but at 15 and never had a pet before I had no idea.. and it seemed the vet we saw when she was a baby was an idiot, and it cost £60 for a wrong diagnosis.

Needless to say it ruined her teeth even more and she has cost around £200 so far and needs more treatment for her teeth and snuffles, my advice is get his teeth checked to make sure, not only will it stop any pains he may be having (if it is teeth related) it will give you piece of mind :)

I hope you can get him neutered and find a friend for him :)

Last edited:
Four different vets have seen him and done a check over of everything including teeth. The first vet just said best not to get a friend due to the eye problem which must of came from his mother the vet said. No other reason just the running eyes, i'm sure the vet gave it a name but i don't remember it. But another vet said its common for rabbits to have watery eyes.

Generally speaking rabbits love the right friend. However, given you have had advice not to bond him, I think it would be important to find a very good rabbit vet, to find out the exact name of the condition, discuss it with a vet and then also discuss it with whoever you intend to get the rabbit from (which would ideally be a rescue because they would be able to suggest the right rabbit for your rabbit if it went ahead and would also hopefully have more knwoledge than a pet shop on medical issues).

Could it be that the rabbit has something contagious that he could pass on to another bun?
Yes, that is what the first vet said but no idea what the name for it was or if he even has whatever that is as only one vet said it was the other said it’s common.

May just have to ask.

if it is something contagious then the vet should have treated your rabbit for whatever it is

if it is a genetic fault such as faulty tear ducts, then no reason not to bond..as long as rabbit is neutered get it a friend. Contact your local rescue and I'm sure they'lll help you out:D

was he saying pasturella? it can be part of the snuffle bun problem but is more likely to be tooth root probs....and what about conjunctivitis....or even a corneal abrasion..or eye ulcer to you and me.

berties always had sore looking eyes but hes a REW frenchie and always looks like that...but his wifey ened up biting his eyes and face a lot and he got an infection a few times..then a nasty corneal abrasion that would not respond to treatments inc serum therapy!! he even had to go to see john chitty several times:shock: that made his eyes run and look sore.... when his wifey washed his eyes daily the gunk was cleaned away. she unbonded herself from him....and his eyes cleared up from the ulcer but left him with gundky sore looking eyes.

from time to time hes had his tear ducts blocked and has had to have them flushed there and then....then bluebell takes over from there....does a better job than i do with cooled boiled water and cotton pads!

was he saying pasturella? it can be part of the snuffle bun problem but is more likely to be tooth root probs....and what about conjunctivitis....or even a corneal abrasion..or eye ulcer to you and me.

berties always had sore looking eyes but hes a REW frenchie and always looks like that...but his wifey ened up biting his eyes and face a lot and he got an infection a few times..then a nasty corneal abrasion that would not respond to treatments inc serum therapy!! he even had to go to see john chitty several times:shock: that made his eyes run and look sore.... when his wifey washed his eyes daily the gunk was cleaned away. she unbonded herself from him....and his eyes cleared up from the ulcer but left him with gundky sore looking eyes.

from time to time hes had his tear ducts blocked and has had to have them flushed there and then....then bluebell takes over from there....does a better job than i do with cooled boiled water and cotton pads!
Just saw the vet the other day and he said its pasturella but not done any tests. He seemed to know more about rabbits than the last lot and never said not to bond him. Should i get him tested for pasturella?

I had a read about pasturella and i've only seen Daisy sneezing a few times and never seen any discharge from the nose but plenty from his eyes. His eyes are nearly always running even when treated with drops. The drops work but after a while it gets worse again. He does have dental problems and is due to get some teeth removed.

Would his teeth be it?

Back