• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trios?

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
This is for future reference only, as there is no way I could get another bunny right now, being unemployed and still living at my mum's :roll: But if I were to introduce another bun to my pair someday, how do I go about it? Is it kind of the same as introducing two buns, does the introduction need to take place in a neutral space etc.?

Oh, and what would be the best match for my two? I have Boris who's very dominant and bossy, and then Bella who's submissive and gentle, so I'm thinking another submissive female maybe? I don't know how Boris would react to a male :shock: He hates men with a passion :lol:

I have 3 trio's :D

Oose bonded herself in with Riley and Taffy (jumped the 5ft pen to get in with them :shock:) woke up the next day, there had been a scrap, but they were bonded and none of them have ever looked back :love:

Frodo and Holly were and existing pair, i added Mojo (Holly is very flighty and i was worried) but i used the "speed bond" approach, all in a carrier to get on with the humping, then into a small pen. The usual humping occured, there was a wee scrap between Holly and Mojo where Holly ripped a claw, but once they had sorted their issues, again they never looked back.

Summer and Giles were an existing pair, i added Willow. I wasnt sure about Willow as she had never been bonded with another bunny. However, Giles and Summer had love at first sight (or smell where Summer is concerned as she is blind). Adding Willow was easy, Summer didnt care at all and Giles was happy to have a "healthy" bunny to play with. They both share turns caring for Summer but enjoy running together too.

I have had 3 very easy trio bonds, i have been lucky. Good luck whatever you decide.

To make a trio you need to be sure it's in the best interest of the bunnies involved. Some bunnies are better/need to be in pairs, and others are better in trios or more. So before deciding to do anything you need to think whether or not your pair would benefit from being in a trio and why and what you hope that additional bunny will bring to the bond. Then you look for a bunny to meet that need.

Having a trio can be wonderful. It is generally harder to bond than a pair because you have more different combinations of heirarchy to work out but the same rules apply. With a trio you need to be prepared that it can go wrong, like with a pair, and you might end up with three singles, with your original pair divorcing and one switching allegiance to the originally single bunny, etc. It's not without it's risks and anyone doing it needs to be ready to deal with that if those situations arise, and also, obviously, what will happen if the trio doesn't work, for whatever reason.

All that said, I like trios when they work for the bunnies, and have three here at the moment, but I also have two pairs I would never try and put into a trio with another bunny.

I have a two male one female trio (probably the least reccomended but oh well)

It started off with two males, the older one is very laid back (Flash) and the younger quite fiesty (Harley), now Harley doesn't really like other rabbits but he was only 6 weeks old when he met Flash so I think that's why they're so accepting of each other. They had been bonded a while, and I had a single female who I'd say is in the middle, she's not bossy but she's not as laid back as Flash. They all got on fine through mesh so I bonded them together, it was very quick and they got on straight away :)

You must know your rabbits though. I tried my other female (Baby) with F&H and she went mental. F&H jump up and throw themselves at the mesh of Rory (single male)s hutch to try get to him. Baby and my other female go for each other. But Baby and Rory get on really well.

Back