• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

the importence of rescuing bunnys not buying bunnys

louiseb1000

Warren Scout
since getting tomtom seeing how sick he was and mistreated through lack of information i see it more now today we called into pets at home as we needed timothy hay and cant get it else were they had a haliquin lop she was beutifull but i felt sad for her and can honsetly say i would never buy a bunny again and always try to get any one i knew to go to a rescue and not a shop :cry:

You're stronger than most, a lot of people seem to have room for a rescue but see a bun in a pet shop and go for them instead

I'd never buy a rabbit from a pet shop, especially P@H

Well said. By going to a reputable rescue you will be given good advice, they will tell you everything you need to know about the bun including any health issues no matter how minor, it will allow the rescue to help another bun and most importantly you are not lining the pockets of the awful BYB's and breeding farms which stock shops such as P@H.

in had my first 2 from pets shops and flopsy was so ill with here tum she was taken away from mum to soon and lastly we got tomtom off some woman whod just left him in a hutch in her garden i think it really shocked me i have become anti pet shop !!!it just makes me sad when so many badly treated bunnys out there just to make a few quid.the diffence in tom now is amazing he didnt even walk when we got him he runs about now and wants to hump me lol nothing like being wanted lol:lol:

yes i brought my buns off breeders,wouldnt swop them now but will go to a rescue in the future didnt realise how many abandoned rabbits there are,people should be jailed or big fines for mistreating animals, would love to see them suffer how there animals have sorry gets me angry:evil:

I'd love to go 'undercover' for P@H one day, a few years ago I was told the 'stock' at a local one came from some mass breeder :(

Yes it is fron a mass breeder who does all small rodents on massive scale but there nott.really handled or pets because they are more stock to person who sell to them, which isnt nice

I'd love to go 'undercover' for P@H one day, a few years ago I was told the 'stock' at a local one came from some mass breeder :(

Yes, most P@H stores are stocked from a breeding farm in my constituency :(. Every time his license is up for renewal I object but eventually it gets renewed.

I know a lady who has been there. She was completely aware of breeding farms before going there but even she was disgusted at the conditions.

I've bought two P@H bunnies (many years ago), one died within 4 days of getting her and the other was really ill and had to be PTS at 18 months old.

I currently have a P@H bred bunny (Not bought from P@H) who is very ill, I'm doing all I can to save this one. I hate petshops, I refuse to buy from shops that sell animals now as I refuse to fund/support them.

yh i agree rescues all the way just wish i lived close to one :)
but yh i wouldnt go for a pet shops defienently not but i also wouldnt go to a breeder anymore either

i rather get a ncie rescue pair that are already neutered plus its cheaper too :D

Yes it is fron a mass breeder who does all small rodents on massive scale but there nott.really handled or pets because they are more stock to person who sell to them, which isnt nice

Ah, I thought it might of changed since then :? Is this mass breeder nearby? I can't remember if I was at the wakefield or dewsbury store when I was told

I don't see the need to go to a pet shop really (unless you can't pass a homecheck). It's probably cheaper to adopt a rescue rather than pay £25 from P@H and then pay for vaccs/neutering on top. There are plenty of babies in rescue. Plenty of colours/breeds in rescue. Plenty of different temperaments. Ok a rescue bun might of originally come from P@H but they will have been health checked by a vet and fit for rehoming. I think it's ok to buy a rabbit when they're in desperate need though (For example littleboot's Dylan, he was a pet shop rabbit covered in matts, one of which was around his neck stopping him from eating properly)

My neighbour bought 2 bunnies from P@H. One died after a short while. She still has the other but it has a chest complaint. I have taken in 2 older bunnies from breeders that werent wanted anymore. But I think I'd go to a rescue in future but then again taking in an unwanted rabbit from a family who dosnt want it anymore saves another one ending up in a rescue dosnt it?

Ah, I thought it might of changed since then :? Is this mass breeder nearby? I can't remember if I was at the wakefield or dewsbury store when I was told

I don't see the need to go to a pet shop really (unless you can't pass a homecheck). It's probably cheaper to adopt a rescue rather than pay £25 from P@H and then pay for vaccs/neutering on top. There are plenty of babies in rescue. Plenty of colours/breeds in rescue. Plenty of different temperaments. Ok a rescue bun might of originally come from P@H but they will have been health checked by a vet and fit for rehoming. I think it's ok to buy a rabbit when they're in desperate need though (For example littleboot's Dylan, he was a pet shop rabbit covered in matts, one of which was around his neck stopping him from eating properly)

Exactly!! We loose money on every single animal we rehome because we actually care. I have had ongoing conversations with Pets at Home and a meeting with one of their directors. I am disgusted at them, they really don't give a jot about animals and their training is absolutely awful. Ok, they handed me a VERY BIG manual on animal husbandry and correct sexing of animals which is all well and good but how many of the staff are actually reading it and digesting it? NOT VERY MANY!! We have had countless instances of wrongly sexed bunnies having babies which we have taken on, countless cases of misinformation given to adopters and the latest issue I have is that their so called 'ADOPTION CENTRES' are sometimes filled with OLD STOCK that are no longer deemed cute enough to sell. One caller also told me that if you adopt from the adoption centre you are not permitted to take the animal back. More recently I have had a case whereby they sold a rabbit with myximitosis!!! The new owners had the rabbit pts and when they rang Pets at Home they were told to burn the hutch and they would give them a new rabbit and new hutch!!! Hang on a minute. If one rabbit was sold with myxi shouldn't all the rabbits have been withdrawn from sale immediately and the problem investigated???!!! They make my blood boil, they really do. They are supposed to be the 'best' sort of pet shop and the director prided himself on putting small pet shops and back yard breeders out of business but frankly I think I have seen better back yard breeders than this bunch of muppets and idiots who couldn't organise a kids tea party.

I have just rang a local rescue to ask if they had any giants needing a forever home.....

They replied "no, but I saw a massive one at Pets at Home the other day"

!!!!!!!! ??????????? !!!!!!!!!

Is it just me or is that a rather odd reply from a rescue ???

** I must add that I did ask if it was in the rehome section, but the lady didnt know just that they had a BIG rabbit.
I have phoned and it is not a giant to be rehomed **

Last edited:
Back