• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit falling over

bradley

New Kit
Took my rabbit to the vet last monday as he kept falling over. Was told this could be a possible ear infection or could be due to parasites. We got given baytril to gove twice a day, an ear cleaner and medicated ear drops, also along with pancur to give for 28 days. Took the rabbit back this Monday and they said carry on with what you are doing but don't use the baytril anymore.We are also going back for another check up on Friday. The only problem is the rabbit doesnt seem to be getting any better! He is still falling over and is unsteady on his legs. Lots of wax has been removed from the ear via the medication but he is still unstable on his legs. Really don't want to have him put down! Is there anything else I can do?

Has he also received a non steroidal anti inflammatory medication ? It is inflammation within the central nervous system that causes the clinical symptoms. So whether the problem is a middle ear infection or Encephalitozoon Cuniculi (EC- the 'parasite') inflammation needs to be controlled.

Metacam (generic name Meloxicam) is the usual NSAID of choice. It can be given orally and is well tolerated in Rabbits.

Has he also received a non steroidal anti inflammatory medication ? It is inflammation within the central nervous system that causes the clinical symptoms. So whether the problem is a middle ear infection or Encephalitozoon Cuniculi (EC- the 'parasite') inflammation needs to be controlled.

Metacam (generic name Meloxicam) is the usual NSAID of choice. It can be given orally and is well tolerated in Rabbits.

Totally agree with this :thumb:

You may also want to discuss using a more aggressive antibiotic with your vet. Baytril is offen not strong enough to fight such a stubborn infection.

It can take a very long time for buns to heal after this, weeks if not months in some cases, so dont lose hope yet :)

Hope your little bun feels better soon :wave:

I don't think he has had any pain killer or anti inflamation drugs. he was going to be given a steriod injection but the vet said due to the amount of antibiotics he is on they would leave it.

I don't think he has had any pain killer or anti inflamation drugs. he was going to be given a steriod injection but the vet said due to the amount of antibiotics he is on they would leave it.

Then you need to ask your vet for it!!!:wave::wave:
If he has E.C then you will need to scrub the cage and treat with panacur......

If you don't feel 100% with your vet, you could always call another one and get a 2nd opinion, try and get some recomendations for a rabbit savvy vet in your area.

It may be that you just need to see the whole course of treatment out before you will see improvements.

Best of luck, really hope your bunny improves :)

Thanks for all the advice! I have now seen two different vets in the same practice which is companion care in pets at home. i will discuss other medication with the vet on my next visit :D

The fact that lots of stuff is coming out of his ear would suggest the problem is caused by an ear infection...so you really need to carry on with antibiotics. Baytril isn't usually the best antibiotic for ear infections, so perhaps discuss trying another antiobiotic with the vet?

Good luck and hope the vet visit goes well :)

Just got back from the vet. The ear infection has improved but the hind legs have not got better. The rabbit is now on metacam and baytril but a higher dose. The rabbit still has some general ear cleaner left so I will continue with this untill it runs out. The vet said if this doesn't work though there might not be anything else we can do!

I would post what area you are in and ask for a recommendation to a rabbit savvy vet - starting another thread is usually the best way to do this.

I haven't encountered an ear infection but I wouldn't expect this to be a PTS situation - I would imagine trying a different antibiotic would be the order of the day, if it is EC it could take a long time and more Panacur & Metacam before an improvement can be expected.

Atm im very happy with the vet I have so will just continue with the metacam and other antibiotics! But thanks anyway :D

Indeed, ask your vet to switch antibiotics if Baytril isn't working.

Give your vet this list: http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Antibiotics/Safe_antibiotics.htm

My bun is taking Azithromycin for her ear infection, and after 2 days its almost cleared up (the full treatment lasts 6 days, and the antibiotic is still active for like 10 days). Its a very strong antibiotic (its actually a human medicine, I take it myself =P), and it seems to do its job better than Baytril.

I will tell the vet about the above if my rabbit isnt any better on the next visit. it seems the ear is fine now it's just the rear legs

Indeed, ask your vet to switch antibiotics if Baytril isn't working.

Give your vet this list: http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Antibiotics/Safe_antibiotics.htm

My bun is taking Azithromycin for her ear infection, and after 2 days its almost cleared up (the full treatment lasts 6 days, and the antibiotic is still active for like 10 days). Its a very strong antibiotic (its actually a human medicine, I take it myself =P), and it seems to do its job better than Baytril.

Azithromycin (Zithromx) is brilliant for pasteurella symptoms including ear infections :thumb:

The rabbits been on metacam since Friday and I have seen no improvement at all. The rabbit is still falling to it's right side when standing. The rabbit has now had 2 different sets of baytril, ear cleaner, antibiotic ear drops, panacur and now metacam. The vet did say he ight not be able to do anything else if thsi doen't work. I was just wondering if anybody can suggest anything else?

The rabbit is not rolling. His back legs just can't hold him up for longer than a minute. He always falls to one side so it might just be one leg. He is on metacam. Once he falls he cannot get up again without help. I have heard it only stays in the sytem for only 8 hours. I am not in after he heas his meds but I think he is able to walk a little better after his meds. I see him again at 3pm which by them most of his metacam would have worn off. I was wondering if I could split his 0.8ml dose into two 0.4ml doses as two times a day?

gevae the rabbit two o.4ml doses today and it seems to be working alot better. The o.4ml is enough to control the inflamation for about 8 hurs. At three I gave him his other dose and he seems to be more stable on his feet. Hav had him inside all evening so I can keep an eye of him and his poo which all seem to be fine!

If it is something neurological (from an active case of EC) then it will take many weeks to get better.

Are you still administering the Panacur?

How much does your bun weigh? 0.4 metacam is not that much - depending on weight of bun AND type of metacam (it comes in various strengths).

PS what is bunnies name?

Back