• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Emma do you remember the panic I was in that both Binky and Shadow were going to be dental bunnies and cost a fortune? I'm just saying, don't feel bad for panicking because I'm 3 times your age and I still managed to panic :oops::oops:

Try not to worry that he will need a dental every month and that it will cost more than you earn. I had a bunny who needed molar spurs burring and it went from 12 weeks apart during one year to at one point managing nine months between dentals. Also remember that although you are only earning a small amount now that is likely to change a lot in a year or so, you WILL find a way of coping. You focus on your maths tests, the rest will work its way out.

Emma do you remember the panic I was in that both Binky and Shadow were going to be dental bunnies and cost a fortune? I'm just saying, don't feel bad for panicking because I'm 3 times your age and I still managed to panic :oops::oops:

Try not to worry that he will need a dental every month and that it will cost more than you earn. I had a bunny who needed molar spurs burring and it went from 12 weeks apart during one year to at one point managing nine months between dentals. Also remember that although you are only earning a small amount now that is likely to change a lot in a year or so, you WILL find a way of coping. You focus on your maths tests, the rest will work its way out.

thank you xx

Hope you and Mischief are ok :(
Can your parents lend you the money? I would if I could but I owe my grandma £100 in vet bills :(

Just a suggestion, could you grow some cat grass or something and have it in the run (If I remember rightly the attached run is on concrete?), just to try get him really wearing those back teeth down?

I think feeling overwhelmed and desperate is ok, so don't beat yourself up for feeling that way.

If he does need a dental, that doesn't mean he will need another one so quickly after. Maybe look for diet changes you can make? Or any circumstances you could change that might encourage more hay eating?

Depending on what causes it, there are often things you can do. I've had Dusk who had them every 14 weeks yet right now he hasn't had one since February 2010, and many others who I have managed to help stretch their dental times of, so things can spread out with some adjustments.

Sit down and talk with your parents about it all, explain how you feel (including feeling desperate and overwhelmed) and see if they can offer any support.

You're a young owner doing your best and shouldering the responsibility of an adult. You do a good job and it's not a surprise you feel as you do.

I hope you're both ok

(and I also hope this post is appropriate given I never saw the original post- if what I have said is inappropriate then I'm sorry *squish*).

Hope you and Mischief are ok :(
Can your parents lend you the money? I would if I could but I owe my grandma £100 in vet bills :(

Just a suggestion, could you grow some cat grass or something and have it in the run (If I remember rightly the attached run is on concrete?), just to try get him really wearing those back teeth down?

Thanks, I have been lent money by my parents, I owe them £40 for mischief's last op and I was paniking because now Mischief needs another op I'd owe them even more, possibly another £100. Then there's the buns jabs next month and christmas coming up and it would take me ages to pay them back and as doing that, the cost will just add up.

Thankfully my grandma, bless her has said she'll pay for mischief's next op. :shock: I told her no as felt really bad but she insists as I've spent all my money on my bunnies and she wants to help me.

That's a good idea about the cat grass, thank you, I'd have to pick it as Mischief can't pull up grass but I'll get some and give it a go. x

I think feeling overwhelmed and desperate is ok, so don't beat yourself up for feeling that way.

If he does need a dental, that doesn't mean he will need another one so quickly after. Maybe look for diet changes you can make? Or any circumstances you could change that might encourage more hay eating?

Depending on what causes it, there are often things you can do. I've had Dusk who had them every 14 weeks yet right now he hasn't had one since February 2010, and many others who I have managed to help stretch their dental times of, so things can spread out with some adjustments.

Sit down and talk with your parents about it all, explain how you feel (including feeling desperate and overwhelmed) and see if they can offer any support.

You're a young owner doing your best and shouldering the responsibility of an adult. You do a good job and it's not a surprise you feel as you do.

I hope you're both ok

(and I also hope this post is appropriate given I never saw the original post- if what I have said is inappropriate then I'm sorry *squish*).

Thank you Sky-O. I do hope his teeth ops wont have to be as frequent as this. x

I've got 15kg of cat grass (wheatgrass seed) as I bought it in bulk as I need to feed
grass to Artie during the winter. There's no way I can get through all 15kg while the seed is still good though so if you want some I can send you some, PM me your address and I'll put some in the post.

I've got 15kg of cat grass (wheatgrass seed) as I bought it in bulk as I need to feed
grass to Artie during the winter. There's no way I can get through all 15kg while the seed is still good though so if you want some I can send you some, PM me your address and I'll put some in the post.

that is so incredibly kind of you, only if you have enough and are sure, thank you so much. xx

Back