• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP!!! Could this be mxyi?

If you read my last post:) Please reply quick) you will know that I helped a friend with her bunnies yesterday.Btw this is not the first time I've helped her with her rabbits.

Her buns are not vaccanated against anything,so this could have a sad ending...:cry:
Well this friend of mine has got 3 what i think to be lion head x's there are 1x black male ,1x mainly white female and 1x honey coloured female
My friend sometimes breeds them,but atleast she knows she'll find good homes for them cause she keeps a list of people who wanted babies from her.
She beds them on shavings.
The honey coloured female rabbit acted a bit more sleepy then usual yesterday and the ring around her eye was red.

My friend has noticed this too and is going to try and find out more about it(not sure if she means the vets or internet etc.)
But nevertheless I want to ask you RU's, because I mean this is a good site to find information and she proberbly doesn't know RU(btw she doesn't speak much English)

Help!! I want to phone her today with info!! I would hate this dear bun bun to die.

xxx

Last edited:
It could be Myxomatosis, especially if the Rabbits are not vaccinated

She needs to take ALL the Rabbits to a Vet today and when making the appointment she needs to let the surgery know that there is a possibility of it being Myxi so that the Rabbits can be isolated on arrival at the surgery.

The only useful advice you can give this friend is to take the Rabbits to a Vet today and if they are actually well get them ALL vaccinated. If Myxi is confirmed then PTS may be the most humane course of action to prevent further suffering. Unvaccinated Rabbits are unlikely to survive, even if given intensive Veterinary care.

Last edited:
OK,guys some more info!

So, for personal reasons I'm abroad a.t.m. in a country called The Netherlands.
Loads more people take bad care of their buns there then in England and compared to some of them this Friend of mine actualy takes good care of them. I will post a specific thread on this at a later date.
Yes, I understand what you say Jack's Jane, but it is going to be difficult to persaude her because the other two buns are as fit as a fiddle a.t.m.
And their aren't really any amazing rabbit care leaflets in The Netherlands as their are in England.
Their is info out there and it is on websites etc. in The Netherlands, but is doesn't get out to people properly.

Last edited:
Another worrying thought.

I don't know if she's got a rabbit savvy vet though, because if she hasn't the vet may give wrong advice. Because of the Vet not be experienced enough in rabbits etc...
I know you always have to trust the vet ,but you know...:?

Back