• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnys and Piggys

eddie-86

New Kit
Is it a good idea to mix in same run/hutch rabbits and guinea pigs, id like to some new additions but dont want anymore bunnys and had guinea pigs along with rabbits when i was a kid but had them in an old piggery building together not sure what they would be like in a hutch.

Thanks

It's not a good idea.... bunnies could very easily injure a piggy with their strong back legs, plus they can pass on illnesses to each other!

I'm afraid rabbits and guinea pigs should not mix. They are different species and will have no benefit of living together, they have different ways of communicating so cannot communicate with eachother. They also have different dietary needs, for example guinea pigs need high amounts of vitamin C as they cannot produce their own whereas rabbits can. It is very dangerous to keep the two species together. One hop or kick from a rabbit (either intentionally or accidentally) could easily kill/harm a guinea pig due to the very different builds. Some one I knew kept a rabbit and guinea pig together and the guinea pig was accidentally killed by the rabbit just through one binky from the rabbit catching the guinea pig. Rabbits also carry a bacteria which if passed onto guinea pigs can be deadly. So no, rabbits like rabbit company and guinea pigs like guinea pig company not mixed.

Thank you for the info, hopefully getting a new hutch tomorrow so maybe with an old hutch could house a couple of piggys together separate from the girls :thumb:

Back