• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

duplociline - I managed it!

weedug

Mama Doe
Honey has had 3 injections of duplociline now, for a snotty nose that she has had for a while and that wasn't responding to Septrin.

The vet sent me home with 2 injections ready made up for her. I tried to give her one today, and got the needle in, but the plunger wouldn't move. Eventually, the syringe came apart with the needle coming unattached, and medicine everywhere :shock:. Tried again, but couldn't get the plunger to move again, so gave up and took Honey, who was totally stressed, to the vet.

She is going to the vet again on Sunday for her jag, but just wondered if anyone had any idea what could have gone wrong?

Also, if her snot stays cleared up, how long would she normally be on the injections for?

And if she isn't snotty, does that mean that she can't pass anything on to any other bun?

Last edited:
You need to take it out of the fridge for about 20 mins. It sounds like the needle clogged. I draw up with a green needle then change it to inject with a blue needle.

Last edited:
I wasn't even told to keep it in the fridge. And the vet filled two syringes for me on Monday, one for today and one for Friday.

The liquid looked really thick in the syringe. I'm taking Honey in on Sunday for her jag, when my usual vet is there. I might end up just taking her in all the time, it this is what happens. That was 2 syringes, and I couldn't get the plunger down in either.

I wasn't even told to keep it in the fridge. And the vet filled two syringes for me on Monday, one for today and one for Friday.

The liquid looked really thick in the syringe. I'm taking Honey in on Sunday for her jag, when my usual vet is there. I might end up just taking her in all the time, it this is what happens. That was 2 syringes, and I couldn't get the plunger down in either.

Oh dear..............

It is definitely a good idea to use a new needle when you inject as the one used to draw up the dose gets clogged up.

I am assuming the Vet knew to store the actual bottle in the Fridge :?

Do you mean Depocillin?

My bun is on that for Bordetella & will be on it for the rest of her life.

You may have injected into some scar tissue which can stop the medicine going in under the skin. What size syringe are you using & what colour are the needles?

I tried using the the 2ml syringes for the 1st time the other day & really struggled because I dont have much strength in my hands. I find the 1 ml syringes with the blue needles much better

You may need to shake the bottle for a quite bit longer as the medicine is quite thick. My vet also sd not to leave it sitting for some time before injecting as the medicine loses its potency.

Hope this helps

Could be a clogged needle as has already been suggested, or could be that you either didn't stick the needle in far enough and tried to inject into the skin layer...or alternatively you might not have grabbed enough scruff, so the needle stuck straight through and into the skin on the other side of the tented bit of scruff

Do you mean Depocillin?

My bun is on that for Bordetella & will be on it for the rest of her life.

You may have injected into some scar tissue which can stop the medicine going in under the skin. What size syringe are you using & what colour are the needles?

I tried using the the 2ml syringes for the 1st time the other day & really struggled because I dont have much strength in my hands. I find the 1 ml syringes with the blue needles much better

You may need to shake the bottle for a quite bit longer as the medicine is quite thick. My vet also sd not to leave it sitting for some time before injecting as the medicine loses its potency.

Hope this helps

I wasn't given a bottle, I was given 2 syringes which the vet prefilled for me, for some reason.

I'm not saying my technique is great, but sounds like I would have struggled anyway since the medicine had been sitting in the syringe for 2 days, without a new needle, and having not been in the fridge.

My confidence in giving injections has been shattered though, and poor Honey is well stressed.

I assume the bottle was originally taken from the fridge Jane, as my vet and another one there seem to know what they are doing. I've never seen this one before.

B has had 3 doses of this-the first,it took the vet 3 attempts to get it in,the 2nd dose,he got it in straight away,the 3rd dose today,the vet struggled to get needle in B & push the plunger-I gather its quite thick stuff.

The vet may have given you some in a syringe because its not normally something they keep a lot of & your bun needed some straight away. My vet orders my bottle in for me & it only keeps for 28 days once opened. It does need to be kept in the fridge for it to be effective

My bun hates having the injection but Ive started putting lots of her favourite treats in front of her which took her mind off what was happening, try it if shes happier/more relaxed then your confidence will grow, alternatively take the bun to the veterinary nurse who will help you practice giving the injection before you do the real one

Last edited:
I'm glad in a way that I couldn't inject today, as it sounds as if the medicine wouldn't have worked as well. At least she got stuff that wasn't "off" at the vets.

Don't know when I'll have the confidence to try myself again though.

I had this to give Starfish, in the chance her tumour was an abcess. Fortunately it was straight after injecting her with fluids four times a day so I was used to the process. I found taking it out the fridge for twenty mins then rubbing it between my palms the way you would a stick if you were trying to start a fire helped.

Make sure you have a good scruff and are right in through the skin and the needle and syringe are horizontal so the meds are definitely going into that space and not into the rabbit's body.

I think you should try again soon. The longer you leave it the more you'll worry when you do have to do it.

Smoo's penicillin doesn't need to be kept in the fridge. My vet said it's a different type. Grim's depocillin does.
My vet always draws up my needles for me too. I give them a good shake and warm them in my hands, I make sure I can see the bubble moving freely. Then you have to get a big bit of scruff and inject it near the base. Draw up the needle first and then compress it. Sometimes they do get stuck if the needle clogs up. If that happens I take the needle out and draw it up until I hear it pop as the air clears the clog. Then you have to carefully depress it to get the air out and you can try again. The needle blunts but I have done it today with Smoo. It went in fine the second time.

Unfortunately I'm an expert at this. :?

Thanks for the tips. I know I'll need to get back to doing them soon, so will keep the tips in mind. If I'm brave enough, I'll try on Sunday with my vet there, otherwise I'll wait until the Wednesday injection.

Exactly the same thing happened to me when I was giving Poppy predrawn Engymycin - blew the needle off and lost all my confidence! :roll:

All I needed was some spare needles to change - also let it warm up a little to room temp when out of the fridge.

You CAN do this, relax, and have another go. :D

Exactly the same thing happened to me when I was giving Poppy predrawn Engymycin - blew the needle off and lost all my confidence! :roll:

All I needed was some spare needles to change - also let it warm up a little to room temp when out of the fridge.

You CAN do this, relax, and have another go. :D

Not so sure now, but my vet has the patience of a saint, so if Honey is up for it on Sunday, I will try again when we are there.

Thing is, my daughter is diabetic, and before she was on the pump I had to give her at least 4 injections a day, so I'm no stranger to injections. Bunny skin is so much tougher though.

Not so sure now, but my vet has the patience of a saint, so if Honey is up for it on Sunday, I will try again when we are there.

Thing is, my daughter is diabetic, and before she was on the pump I had to give her at least 4 injections a day, so I'm no stranger to injections. Bunny skin is so much tougher though.

I know! I used to be a Med student and i'm hopeless with rabbits and needles don't worry! :wave:

Just practise with your vet and some sterile water, it will be fine. :)

I know! I used to be a Med student and i'm hopeless with rabbits and needles don't worry! :wave:

Just practise with your vet and some sterile water, it will be fine. :)

The thought of practicing on the vet who gave me the stuff, without even saying it was to be kept in the fridge, is making me feel much better :lol:

Finley is on this at the minute and i wasn't told to keep it in the fridge (thankfully i knew though) i find taking it out of fridge lietting it warm up and flicking it a few times helps but i always change the needle as it always gets clogged!!

Just back from Honey's vet visit, and I done the injection! Saw a lovely nurse, who went over everything with me, and talked me through the injection. Managed to give it no bother, with no problems with the plunger. The nurse reckoned because it wasn't in the fridge, the stuff would have changed and become too thick to inject.

For once, today has been a reasonable day. Injection given :), still no snot :), and confidence back to face Wednesday's injection. The syringe is in the fridge, and I have the tips from RU, and my vet nurse to follow.

Just waiting for everything to go wrong again :roll:

Back